Which backup body for EOS-3?

PatrickMP

<P>Hello all.

<P>I recently made the move to Canon EOS from a Pentax manual focus system. With my

Pentax system I had tried to build up a complete, and <em>reliable</em> system, so I

had two bodies, spare packs, lens redundancy (overlap in zoom focal lenghts for example),

etc. I am

often shooting in areas where service is "difficult" if not impossible, so I have to be as

self-sustaining as possible.

<P>Moving on. My current system consists of a single body and lens: EOS-3 (with PB-E2)

and 24-70/2.8 lens. The lens covers the focal lengths I need for now, and my next

(major) purchase will be a backup body.

<P>Prices for EOS-1N with boosters are dropping all the time, and I have been

considering an EOS-1N as backup. With my Pentax system, my backup body is identicle to

my primary body, which is good because there are no issues when switching. I'd like to

hear peoples comments on the 3 vs. 1N in terms of control layout and functionality. If I

use a 1N, can I expect a vastly differnet experience than the 3? Should I save a little more

and get another EOS-3 as my backup (sans booster)?

<P>Any comments would be appreciated.

<P>Thanks,<BR>-Patrick

I shoot with an EOS 3 and bought a 1N for back-up. There are some differences in layout but many functions remain the same. What I really had trouble getting used to was the loss of functionality in the vertical release. I think the 1N can only release the shutter with the grip. I don't shoot the film cameras much any more. There are some differences like the switch for frame rate I think is located under the palm door. Just remember its just aq back-up but it was the top of the line camera.

Like theh previous poster stated - with a 1n, you lose some of the funtionality of the booster. If you like using the PB-E2, you'll probably want to replicate that in a back-up body. If you go with the idea that you want to quickly move to your back-up without skipping a beat, then another EOS 3 might be a good choice.

A used EOS 3 isn't much different in price than a 1N. Why not just get another 3? It's a

much better body in terms of AF, metering and flash. Plus the 1N isn't E-TTL

capable.

The only things I missed from my 1N was the eyepieve blind (useful for self-timer shots

with sun behind you) and built-in diopter correction. To make up for these features I

simply bought a diopter lens from B&H and use M mode for self-timer shots with sun

behind.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I'd suggest instead of 10D or 20D which are NOT pro bodies if you go digital to go with the 1D MKII N, not the older 1D. I say that because power management gets you 4 times farther than with the old 1D. I have both bodies and use the old 1D only when I need two cameras, otherwise it's a backup now.

JS

I don't believe in having a backup (A camera that doesn't do anything but waiting for my main body to die?).<br>

I shoot with three EOS3's at the same time.<br>

No such thing as backup, all my cameras make money for me.<br>

I do, however, keep a backup lens (Tamron 28-75/2.8) in the car.<br>

The only reason I can think of for not getting another EOS 3 (especially when lightly used second hand ones are now such good value) is that you might have some other need that is better met by a different body. For example, a modern Rebel makes a great light weight hiking body, and an Elan 7 series (EOS 30 series) body is king when quiet operation is important.

I have two EOS 3's and a 7N. Use the 3's like Derek C. when I'm out in the field, sometimes with different film in each. Use the 7N for more casual and when I want to travel lite, snaps. The 7N also rides in the car to and from my day job. I wouldn't consider the 7N a "backup", but used for different reasons.

<P>Thanks for all the replies thus far.

<P>For the suggestions: No 10D/20D for me, nor a 1D (or 1DMk2). I'm not in the market for Digital , still prefering film. Lower priced bodies aren't really an option: I chose the EOS 3 because of the weather seals. Even if a lower priced body (I was considering the A2E at one point) will hardly be used, I still need something that can withstand the shooting conditions I expect to be in. To the poster who said that they shoot with all three bodies: I concur to a point. In some situations, having both of my Pentax's mounted and ready to go saved me more than once (Shooting with only prime lenses for example), but for the most part the second body will remain in the bag.

<P>I didn't know about the lack of functionality on the 1N's vertical grip, and this will be something to consider. E-TTL isn't that much of a deal for me; I am coming from a world of non-TTL so anything better than that is already 100% ahead. :)

<P>-Patrick