love4leica

I am torn between the devil and the deep blue sea !! I have to choose

one between the two- either 111 or 111A. The rangefinder patch in 111

is much better and contrastier than the one in 111A (111A has a faint

patch) but then the shutters speeds sound much smoother, sweeter and

accurate on 111A (also remember that 111A has a 1000th of a second &

111 goes up to 500th only) as compared to 111. Which one shall I go

for and why? Thank you folks.

I have a IIIa and a IIIf RD. My IIIa started life as a III and was factory-upgraded to a IIIa at some time in its life before I acquired it in 1952. In my experience, I would go with the camera that is in the better condition. I seldom use 1/1000th, and, in the case of my camera, this speed results in a small, dark band at one side of the image.

Replacing the rangefinder half-silvered mirror should be about a $75 job. Nothing exotic about it, even if the repair place can't get a real Leica half-silvered mirror, any quality half-silvered mirror will do. Very non-critical part, thickness is non-critical.

Not having 1/1000 can be a real problem, especially with ISO 400 film and a lens that only stops down to f/12.5, like a Summar or an old Summitar.

Well, with a 1/500 top shutter speed and ISO 400 film, you can't shoot outside in bright sunlight unless your lens stops down to f/16. As I noted, the Summar and early Summitars only stop down to f/12.5. Ok, so that's only 2/3 stop overexposure.

Having seen how much better a fresh RF mirror is, it may well be that the III has a indifferent one, and the IIIa a really bad one.

Afzal, unless you are shooting wide open or close ups. Both these rangefinders may be used on a focus zone basis i.e. F5.6+. I have found the marking on early LTM lens for dof quite accurate. Furthermore the VF is so small it is better to put a VF accesory

on top. Voightlander is quite economical. Leica 5omm VF is also available at arounf GBP 55 or so.

Unless they go for real bargain prices (and if that's the case buy both) I wouldn't get either of them. III and IIIA's are not that uncommon and if I were you I'd decide on which model you really want and hold out for one in good condition to come around.