Pentax 67 vs. Hassy etc.,

trex1

Hi,

I have a few questions about the Pentax 67:

Are waist level finders interchangeable between the 67 and the 67II?

Has anyone used both (hassy and Pentax 67), any opinions?

My experience so far is excellent with the 67, I really like it, and I am on the verge of

selling my Hasselblad, so I was wondering if anyone else had faced a similar situation and

come out one way or the other.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Darius,

Go here to the

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a.tcl?topic=Pentax%2067%20SLR">Pentax 67 SLR Forum</a>

and see if you can hook up with

Bob Cook

A member of the www.photo.net community since July 20, 1997.

I think he has been down this road before. He has been most gracious in answering my quetions. You may find others there that will offer their opinions/experiences also.

Rick Sikora

I've had both and ended up keeping the Hassy. The Pentax 67 (original version) was an economical, good all-around performer, but there were a few things that I did not like. The flash sync. speed was too low for me (esp. for fill flash in daylight), I had to work very hard to get perfectly sharp images because of the mirror slap and resonating vibrations (esp. when using telephoto lenses), and since I was shooting both B&W and Color at the time, I had to carry an extra body since there was no interchangable back.

Darius, I can't understand you. You ask advice on selling the Blad but only recently you advised people to buy a Bronica instead of a Hasselblad.

In another thread you wrote you wanted to sell the Bronica and get a Sony digital camera because prints from (if I remember correctly) Velvia were so expensive with the Bronica. The Pentax will give you even more expensive prints because you get less exposures on a roll of film with the Pentax compared to the Bronica. Shouldn't you make up your mind?

I'm a biased Hasselblad user - been one for 30 years. I've also used a Pentax 6x7. Both are great cameras but they are different.

The prism finders shows only 85% of the negative, the WLF show 100%. It's a pain to use the WLF for vertical shots.

I'm not sure but I believe that the WLF are interchangeable.

Flash sync is 1/30 sec a bit slow for me.

The lenses are great, no issue there. In fact if I ever need a 600mm lens for my focalplane HAsselblad, the Pentax 6x7 600mm is the one I would get and have it mounted up for my 2000FC/M.

Having said that, I'd stick with the Hasselblad. Lighter, interchangeable backs, more service options.

You might try the Pentax forumn here on PN. There are a number of 6x7 users there.

I had both for a while and sold the 6x7. I use mine for landscape and found that there were too many practicality issues with the 67. Its big, the film back was hard for me to open (in the cold, no nails). the picture quality was excellent and definition-wise was marginally better than the blad.

I also prefered the 6x6 format, I love the idea of never needing a prism finder and the WLF is great for low-level shots with wide angle.

Either one is an excellent camera, the wooden handle of the 6x7 is the ultimate accessory, completely pointless but looks great.

Finders are interchangable.

I've used both and liked both. Flash sync speed was an issue for me as well with Pentax. I prefer the 6x7 format over square. Lenses for the Pentax are less expensive and very sharp. I liked the Pentax better as a field camera. Liked the Hasselblad better in studio.

Having said all that, the RB67 is what I use now and like it the best.

What did Emerson say? A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of a lesser mind? Something like that, anyway.

In my experience, no one single MF camera seems to do everything I want. The Mamiya 6 was awesome, it did everything I wanted except focus closer than a meter. The Bronica EC did everything I want except weigh less than an M60 machine gun. The Bronica SQAi never seemed to click with me for some reason though, the Hasselblad basically is the same as the SQAi in my hands, not having much luck with it, and I don't like the fact that I need to spend extra money to use 220 film in it, not to mention the costs of lenses, and initial outlay for the camera.

The Pentax 67 is really something though. The one I got was a beat up old original model with a loud shutter and no mirror lock up, but even with the old yellowed lens, it takes simply stunning photos. The bokeh is the best I have seen anywhere, much better than the Hasselblad's 80mm lens. Then there is the fact it cost $100!

I find myself picking up and using the 67 all the time, not so the Hassy. It's odd, because in all my years taking pictures I was never interested in the Pentax, it was such an ugly huge behemoth. I never would have bought one, but it was in the junk bin at the local store for practically free so I thought what the hell.

The 6x7 neg is incredible as a well. Anyway, that's my side of the story.

Still the one thing stopping me from selling the 501c is that it is smaller and has advantages in handling. I'll try and use them side by side, but where the Pentax is fun to use, the Hassy is still a kind of unknown factor. Withe the Bronica EC I liked using it, I enjoyed the dynamic, and the Hasselblad should be that much better in that regard, as it is smaller and lighter, but perhaps it is the fact of not being able to get in close enough without some expensive lens, or extension ring that is keeping it cold for me.

• 1 month later...

Hello Darius,

While my experience with any Hassy is very limited, I did recently purchase a 67II and believe it is much easier to become accustomed to if one is making the move from 35mm SLR to medium format. The camera layout is virtually the same, albeit everything about it is larger, lenses unfortunately too. While neither is an action camera, I do use the 67II for aviation photography and the prints hands down beat anything I've ever gotten with 35mm, and, from what others I shoot with who also use a Hassy claim, the 67II would be their choice as it is very portable.

What people have been saying about camera shake does not appear to be an issue, particularly at high shutter speeds, which I am fortunate enough to be able to use. Images are incredibly sharp, better than many cheapo digital prints I've seen people claim are "outstanding" and the all around costs are must less than a Hassy would incur. In fact, with all that is happening in the digital world now, I'm sure Hassy is going to fold soon.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Mr. Edward Pascuzzi

Aviation Photography

http://www.thephysicsguy.com