D200 and rain!

kam_bansal

Hi all,

Hope you are all safe and well.

Well, day #2 in Hong Kong and it is pissing rain! got to love it!

Well, after spending a good deal today outside with my camera, we ALL got

soaked, clothes and camera. I mean wet! Returned "home" and wiped camera dry and

all looks fine! It's nice to have a camera that can handle the elements.

Well, that is it, just wanted to share some "the camera lived after getting

soaked" woo hoo message!

Also, I have been shooting with the 18~200 lens, and it rocks. What a great

focal length. For those on the fence about this lens, I say "2 thumbs up".

Well, time to leave and get some vendor food!

Be well,

~Kam (^8*

ps. Also, Singapore Airlines rocks. We took them from San Francisco to Hong Kong

direct. They fed us, fed us, then fed us! Great service.

Kam, I swear that most D200 owners do more talking about their new cameras than shooting or posting. Why don't you show us some nice images of Hong Kong in the rain? Hong Kong is a photographers delight and we would love to see them. I did a an informal survey the other day out of curiosity and found that there were 4,320 posts about the D200 but only 536 images posted using the camera. Those statistics, anacedotal as they are, conform very closely to users of Leica cameras. I have not figured out the connection but I am sure there is one. As an aside, I have often used my D70 in the rain and snow and it is still clicking after more that two years of use.

Tim:

" Kam, I swear that most D200 owners do more talking about their new cameras than

shooting or posting. Why don't you show us some nice images of Hong Kong in the

rain?..."

Why the agression? And what if people feel their photos are not good enough to be

published? What if they just don't like going through the truble of posting pictures? And

how do you know they don't shoot with their D200?

You really went through counting all the posts pertaining to the D200 and and all the

posts including pictures? My goodness...

Relax.

And why don't YOU show us some pictures taken with your D70 under the rain?

Now, I'l get my coffee.<div>00Gdjy-30119184.jpg.c2d8ff4d87c7a294ce16d4257358ab0b.jpg</div>

Andy, I did indeed include your ten in the 536 and I want to congratulate you for posting your images taken with the D200. You were one of my favorites when you shot film and you continue to be one of my favorites using your D200. Bernard, you seem a little edgy this morning so you may want to lay off the coffee. Did you by chance get a D200? I am planning on moving up to a D200 but I don't think I will tell anyone when I do, it's way too much fun tweaking the D200 and D2X owners when they yak about their new cameras and don't post images. http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/3397332-lg.jpg

Arnab, I was getting a little bored because there have not been many posts about the DthreeX and Dthree-hundred lately so I was hoping to inject a little humor to see if I could flush out a couple of fellow comedians from the PN audience. Will have to try again at a later date.

"...posts about the D200 but only 536 images posted using the camera. Those statistics, anacedotal as they are, conform very closely to users of Leica cameras. I have not figured out the connection but I am sure there is one."

the forum discourages image posting. i, and many others, are not intrested in viewing participating at a thumbnail size of 511 pix wide. it's the year 2006, not 1996.

Vivek, anyone who has used a D200 isn't likely to voluntarily touch a D70 again. I tried my friend's D200 and that was the undoing of my relationship with the D70. I'm not missing anything, in fact it's one of the best investments I've managed so far, similar to the 50/1.8 in value.

If you can, get over to Kowloon in the early evening and set up to shoot across to Hong Kong from the plaza near where the ferry boat terminal is- you can get really fantastic shots, with beautiful reflections off the water, from there. I'm attaching one I shot several years back with a P/S digicam (when the prices of good D-SLRs made them unaffordable to me).

Cheers- Bob<div>00GeZ3-30143584.thumb.JPG.ba3a8979e756cee3703052acf50c40cf.JPG</div>

I don't think the D200 is worth twice as much as the D70s. I don't think the D200 makes photos twice as good as the D70s. The D70s is still a good camera for a lot of people. OK 10.2mp is higher resolution than 6.1mp, but not by much. Some people just can't spare $1k for a move up. It's like buying a Meredes and the salesman saying well hey you can spend twice as much and get this! It just isn't happening for me.

If I were a pro making money off my photography the D200 is the only choice but as a casual tourist traveler, the D70s is a better value for the money.

What would you rather have, a D200 with the 18-70mm kit lens, or a D70s with the Nikon 17-55mm 2.8?

Dave

• 2 years later...

I've been using the D200 for little more than a year now. I am not a pro, but I enjoy photography. And what the D200 has done for me is that it has inspired me to take some nice pictures. If I look back at my photography skills a year ago, they were not much to write home about. But now, I think having a brilliant camera has improved my skills quite a bit. The D200 is absolutely amazing. I wish I could afford to upgrade to the D300, but that'll have to wait! :-) Till then, I am sure I'll have a whale of a time with the D200.

Cheers!

Ani.<div>00QpBC-70611684.JPG.c07ab636ba279d18e71ddea34ee1a776.JPG</div>