Light meter

markok765

If you can do without one feature (spotmetering or flashmetering), there are several choices. If forced to compromise I'd rather do without spotmetering than flashmetering. An incident meter can also be used as an averaging reflective meter.

I've used a Minolta Autometer IIIF for years (incident and flashmetering but no spotmetering), and it was used and abused when I got it.

Adorama has some house brand meters, various types.

I've heard some good things about Polaris incident/flashmeters, nothing particularly bad.

I use a Minolta Autometer III that I bought used from KEH. It doesn't have spot metering capabilities but you can get a 5 degree spot attachment which is what I use 90% of the time. It works well but the attachement requires you to adjust your exposures from the given reading.

I just got a Minolta IV from KEH. Bargain condition, $100. It works like a charm. I needed a

meter for shooting interiors and portraits outside for digital work. It has helped me get a

handle on the ambient/flash light.

Gary, there is no excuse for being rude. I say that to my kids every day!

Marko, there are many related responces here at pnet. Learn to use the search engine at the top right of the page. The stored info is one of the greatest strengths of pnet.

To contributed to the original question: I am with Lex, though the model I use is Gossen Luna pro F digital. Small, light, great ev range, regular AA batteries, and not too expensive (I have the old version without the rotating dome). Negative: The dome's lock-in-place mechanism is fragile. If I was buying now, I would go for one of the digisix models.

I like my Minolta Auto Meter IVF. I traded in my IIIF for it...what I did not like about the IIIF was the lack of an on/off switch. I could never seem to remember to pull out the battery. Anyway, Minolta makes many good meters that can be found used and for reasonable prices.

Wayne