Opinions on Kirk BH-3 compared to...

darkprints

I'm about to spring for a ballhead to go with my RRS PCL-1 panning

clamp and Gitzo Studex. I'm shooting panos, and my heaviest gear is a

Hasselblad w/ 40mm - and because this heavy load is cantilevered way

off balance, the large Leitz ballhead I've been using is no longer

adequate. (The Leitz is great for the TLR Rollei, though.)

So, has anyone been able to compare the Kirk with the new RRS BH40

and/or the Markins M10? I'm interested in the Kirk because it's nearly

$100 cheaper (I'm financially challenged), but, if it doesn't compare,

it would be a $100 waste. I'm willing to spring for the RRS or Markins

if it's really worth the difference.

I'm interested in hearing opinions based on hands-on experience.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Since you have or are getting a Studex tripod, a G-1321 leveling head will be much more useful than the PCL-1 Panning Clamp. With the PCL-1, the camera must be dead level, placing the horizon in the center of the image. I have a PCL-1 (it's the only thing I can use on a G-1227), but use it on only about 1/3 of my panoramas. The rest of the time I use a flash shoe level, and eyeball the horizon.

With the leveling head, you can set up to pivot about a vertical axis with the camera tilted up or down slightly for better composition. However, you will need to level the camera horizontally using a bubble level.

If you use a 40mm lens on the Hasselblad, it might be best to have the camera dead level to avoid convergence. However, most stitching software can correct for convergence. You will find that very wide-angle lenses don't make the best panoramas - the interesting stuff is compressed in a line near the horizon. The most used lens for panos in my Hasselblad stable is a 180.

IMO, the BH-40 is too light-duty for general use. Ball heads smaller than 2" in diameter tend to be sticky in operation, making it difficult to make fine settings. Look for a Kirk head in this range, the RRS BH-55, Acratech Ultimate or (best of all) the Arca Swiss B1.

Clamps and plates for the Markins heads are supposedly smaller than those by Kirk, RRS and Arca-Swiss. I would use caution before buying a Markins head.

Edward - Thanks for your reply, but... as I stated, I already own a Studex (purchased new 30+ yrs. ago) and the PCL-1.

My query was: Do you own or have used the RRS BH-40 and have compared it with the Kirk or Markins, and have an opinion based on your actual usage?

I have ample experience with small ball heads, including a "large" Leitz head (which I wouldn't even carry as a spare), if not the BH-40. The sticky action of such heads and the relatively low holding power make them a waste of money, IMO. The Acratech Ultimate head is a relative bargain and has smooth action and good holding power. However, the only head I would recommend without reservation is the Arca B1. No ball head other than the Arca B1 has an effective tension control. That is my experience, so take it for what it's worth

Perhaps you feel lucky.

I'll restate my query: I'm interested in the Kirk BH-3, the RRS BH40, and the Markins M10 and would like to get articulate opinions from people who have had hands-on experience with these ballheads - not theory or conjecture. I'm not interested in the Arca-Swiss B1 or the Acratech.

Thanks

Mike- I did consider the Acratech, as it's in the same ballpark. However, the consensus is that it won't hold the same weight as the others. My situation is that the Hass + 40mm (about 5.5 lbs.) will not be mounted directly over the ball - the weight will be off-center about 6". If the camera were mounted over the ball, the Acratech would be fine.