kit that now includes two Nikon bodies. I want to change over into

Canon little by little and am looking for a decent film body to get

started with. I'd like something more late model, and ttl flash

metering would be a benefit as I do shoot the occasional portrait. I'm

not opposed to a less expensive body as I could just get a warranty

plan,(keh?) but I do want to pair a better lens with it. The EOS 3

seems to be pretty much a good pick, although I'd probably prefer a

slightly less expensive body and better lens. I'm not up on the Canon

options so I appreciate your experience.

Hi Wayne, The Elan 7 is a nice film camera. You may not like or want the feature but if you get an Elan 7e the "e" stands for Eye Control and it'll let you set the focus point with your eye. I just have one of the "regular" Elan 7's and it's a great, quiet and reliable film camera that can be had relatively inexpensively. Good luck!

The Elan 7n and 7NE are great cameras indeed. The EOS 3 give you a few more features and better weather seals, but you never know if the used ones were shot to death by pros and are on their last legs. The safest bet would to buy a newer, lightly used one in E+ condition or better from KEH.com, but of course you would be spending quite a bit more money than with an Elan 7N.

Wayne: I've got the Elan 7ne, a great model, pretty solid, nice weight. The "e" as other people have said, denotes eye-control focus. It's really an "acquired taste", though. I used it a lot in the beginning, and still do, but sometimes it can be an annoyance (it's in those situations that I turn it off). If you don't think you need eye control, then save the money and buy a better lens. What kind of lens in what kind of budget range are you looking for?

Hi Wayne- I have both the Elan 7e and EOS 3. Both are great cameras with their own ups and downs. The Elan is small and quiet, and has most features most people use commonly. It lacks the spot meter and the superior autofocus points of the 3 however. The 3 is large, heavy and noisy. These don't bother me, and having to go back to the Elan on a recent shoot (the 3 was loaded with film for another project) was a bit of a pain. The full, bright viewfinder, the added AF points and the spot meter grow on you quickly. For the price you can get a 3 for on ebay in Exc+ cond, I'd go with that.

Another vote for the Elan 7N or Elan 7 -I own an Elan 7N and I love it! But I do believe that the Elan 7 is not much different. ALso another vote for KEH - get a used Elan 7 from KEH and I think you will be happy. A good balance between price and features in the Canon line - 3rd from the top - a prosumer body.

If you don't want to spend up to the EOS 3, you can get the equivalent of an Elan 7/7N/7NE that has spot metering and shutter speeds through 1/8000 - Canon's A2/A2E. Keh always seems to have several in the USD125-180 range.

Best,

Mike

Granted, the 3 has several features that the Elan lacks. It also has a more substantial build, but that of course comes with an increase in bulk and weight. However, even with the low used prices I would hardly call a 3 body a "value" film body. Since you want something affordable to start yourself off, I would have to say that the Elan sounds perfect for you. BTW I own a 3 and I've logged a lot of seat time with the Elan 7 series so I feel qualified to endorse them both. Oh, and partial metering really isn't too bad once you get used to its eccentricities.

I'm in the same boat as Andrew and Tim. I started in the AF line with the Elan 7e then upgraded to the EOS3.

Yes the EOS3 is just over twice the money on the used market. But well worth the difference in price for someone experienced as you might be with the Nikons.

Speaking from experience, either the Elan or the EOS3 are great film bodies. You won't regret either.

I also second the ECF - Eye Control Focus - I don't know if I could live without it now that I use it about 50% of the time, as well as the spot meter of the EOS3.

Not too many differences between the 7 and the 7n, but the 7n "ultra-matte" coating will

attract less attention, the AF dial is raised, the LCD has a backlight, and you can use the

Battery Pack BP-300 with the camera. The 7n is an update. _The_ 100mm lens that Canon

makes is the 100mm f/2, which, like pretty much all Canon primes, apparently has pretty

good optics (I have not used it myself, but reviews seem to agree that this lens has good

optics). Good luck!