moskva-5 query

I have just bought a beautiful old Moskva-5. On magnifying a scanned test

picture of a brick there seems to be an alignment problem. The bricks are very

sharp from left edge of the picture a little more than half way across where a

degree of softness is observed across to the right edge. The film was scanned

onto a CD at a photo lab. I assume that the scan is not to blame.

I wonder whether the lens is out of alignment or whether the pressure plate is

the problem. In either case, I wonder if this can be corrected.

Welcome to the joys of vintage folder cameras! A misaligned front standard or film flatness issues are especially common in 6x9 format and are exciting features often encountered in these old picture-takers. Of course this can be corrected, a skilled technician can perform a thorough <abbr title="clean, lube & adjust">CLA</abbr> that rarely cost twice as much as what you paid for the camera in the first place.

Thank you, Bueh, for your reply. If you would recommend someone for the job I would be grateful.

John, I take it that a only mild hangover would suffice to distort the front part whereas it would take a bad one to do the pressure plate plate.

Moskva surviving guide, short :

+ Remove the back and bend back the springs that push on the film spools. These springs are usualy too slack, and they contribute a LOT to the film flatness by keeping some tension between the spools

+ Always unfold the camera /slowly/ otherwise the air intake in the bellow will suck the film into the body, ruining the film flatness

+ Always wind /just before/ shooting to ensure the filn is nice, tidy and tense when you expose it a few seconds later

Of course you could have some camera frame issue with your model, but I reckon these small tips will always improve things anyway!

Isn't that a dual format camera?

If you don't have the 645 mask,make one out of black card stock,available at any craft store(like A.C.Moore).I think that's the cheapest way out to make it a good user--- not to mention you'll get 16 instead of 8 frames and be using mostly the center of the lens.

The moskva 5 can shoot 6x6, not 645, given the proper mask. And no you can't manufacture one out of cardboard, unless you want to forcibly drag the emultion side of the film on a piece of cardboard.

Also I don't see the point of shooting a 6x9 with a reduced frame. More frames per film ? who care ? I could also get 36 of them on 35mm film, but I think one shoots 6x9 to get... 6x9 frames :D

I wonder if a piece or two of some elastic, rubber like material placed against the film spool, say at both ends, might help to keep the film taut, preventing it from unwinding and becoming slack. There will be some additional strain on the mechanism when the film is wound on, but perhaps it might be worth a try.

• 1 month later...
Thank you all for your contributions. I have fixed the pressure plate springs and I am satisfied that it bears evenly on the back of the film. But the problem persists and I have found that there are focussing problems as well...faulty lens or rangefinder -or both? A beautiful lemon that Moskva!