How do you label image discs for clients?

daydreamsart

I'd like it to be archival, and was using glossy labels but have read

some negative things about the glue ruining the disc. Now I have an

Epson R800 that will print directly onto the disc and I thought it

would be a good thing, but they smudge! Even after drying for a few

hours, the slightest moisture will smudge the surface into a mess.

I'm using Epson ink and Tao Yuden inkjet printable CD's. Is there a

good media that holds the ink? Any solutions?

I, too, like the Lightscribe system. And it's not too expensive to buy the CD/DVD burner. The discs are coming down in price too.

When I'm not using the lightscribe, I just use the Sharpie too. I figure the important information is on the label in the jewel case.

The disc has Value.

Do not write on it and do not place cute stuff on it to label it.

Make a Jewel Case cover that is classy and use the bare disc as a professional selling point regarding perservation and longevity.

Really now, does anyone really care how the disc looks and how often is it really "looked at"? Placing anything on the disc Creates Risk so why consider doing that before even giving it to the customer?

A Clean Disc is a safer better product ... that's a selling point.

In this bussiness, presentation plays a huge role. When I meet with clients I show them a DVD slideshow that has the lightscribe burning, comes in a leather case with 4x6 print, which is enclosed in an Art Leather box with tissue paper. Their package may or may not include the deluxe leather case but it looks pretty good for the presentation.<div>00GajR-30038484.jpg.b3ed6f31dd1df506ad91c668f3dcd87b.jpg</div>

Thanks Marc and David. I agree that presentation is important, but I also agree that what's on the disc is more important. Looking at that Delkin site makes me worry about the archival qualities of what I'm using. For $2.00 per gold CD, it's not bad for peace of mind. Maybe going with a Lightscribe and fancy presentation, AND the gold CD's or DVD's with marker in a case as the archival negatives, which are stored away in a safe place is the answer.

Good archival media has the reflective surface embedded in the disc, not as an external

laminate like cheaper media. With an embedded reflective layer, adhesive labels have no

impact on the longentvity of the disc since there is no direct contact with the reflective layer.

Image is everything, and handscribbles aren't mine.

I use the R800 on Verbatim disks and have yet to have one smudge. They do require a little more dry time than a print, and I usually spray the printed side with a protective spray to prevent minor scratches. Make sure you get inkjet printables as there are thermal printable disks that may not work well with the R800.