Dedicated Automobile FD Kit Idea!

14mm 2.8l

I've been sitting on some old FL mount glass and a well used and

then repainted and used more F-1n.

These days these items are almost worthless and then it dawned on me:

Hey why not build a car kit that just stays put, stashed away in the

trunk or somewhere in the car that is ALWAYS ready to shoot.

So here it is, my dedicated car kit:

Canon F-1n basic model, only option is bottom half of leather ever

ready case ,maybe 7+

19mm f3.5 FL maybe an 8

28mm f2 SSC likely an 8

35mm f2.5 FL solid 9

50mm f1.4 FL 9+

135 f2.5 FL 9+

Lindy

That's not a bad idea. My concern is the film and the battery in the camera. Since I live in Canada it's either -10 degrees C in my car or +35 C (somewhere around 20 F to 90 F). This does not happen overnight but you get the idea. There are probably only about 3 months of the year I could leave it there without worrying about it. I guess if you had a small pouch for the camera so you could easily take it in and out of the car with you it would be great but that does kind of defeat the purpose.

Lindy I would think that as long as you rotate it in and out of the trunk making sure it gets some excersize you should be fine. Snice I know you have the common sense needed to know when extremes in temp would make leaving it in the boot a bad idea.

The wife carries her AE-1P outfit almost all the time. When it's to warm to leave it in the car all day while at work she just takes it in. I got her a nice compact Tamron bag that just fits. two lenses and the body with a third lens mounted. a couple of rolls of film and a 011A flash.

Me I always got something.

20 years ago I had a Canon FTb in my car all the time, with a 100 mm macro - lens.

One time, however, I had a Kodak Ektachrome High - Speed in it (Old film, 200 ASA) and after two months I had it developed. It turned out completely magenta. This was in the summer. I still have this camera, and it still works fine. The rubber - curtain shutter hasn't suffered from the high summer temperatures.

Bye,

Dirk.

That is a very extensive car kit! Wow. You certainly will not miss a shot - you're ready for any shooting! But I would worry about leaving a camera in the car permanently. The temperatures will be murder on apperture blads, shutters, film, heck - even the foam, not to mention batteries. When its coldoutside, its cold in your car - when its hot outside, its MURDEROUSLY HOT in your car. I understand you are pretty well writing this equipment off - letting it go in harms way so to speak. But it would be a shame if you think you are good to go and find the equipment to be killed by massive temperature swings. Then there is the constant bumping, etc. - I assume most people drive more sedately than I do, but still, there is a lot of vibration that would work on your gear over time.

I have an old Zenit that spend most of its time in the back seat, with a 50mm lens. It was a purely mechanical camera - no batteries, and even so, eventually some screws came loose here and there. And I took it out on really hot or cold days on top of keeping it in the cabin, not the trunk, thus having the benefit of any ventilation that I had :)

This list you made is a wonderful kit - I think its safe to say many people would be happy using that as their mainstay (and many pros probably have for many years!), it would just be shame to have it fail through the effects of the elements, as Mr Murphy suggest, when you need it most!

It's a nice idea, but I would bring the kit indoors every night. I would recommend for daytime storage in the car one of the zipup cases that kids use for lunch. They are well padded and cushioned. In the summer, include some of those cooler things you freeze in the refrigerator. In the summer, maybe a hand warmer, but I would put the camera stuff in a ziplock bag, because of possible outgassing from the handwarmer. Good kuck!

I have a lot of FD equipment that mostly doesn't get carried much anymore. For the last few years I"ve left a Canon TX with a Soligor 28-80 mm lens and a rubber lens shade. It is held in a small Quantaray holster and is kept in the console of my van.

For the equipment you mentioned I'd suggest a Lowepro Omni Sport to hold the collection. I would agree with the earlier post to take the package indoors over night.

I frequently leave a camera (with several lenses) in my trunk for months at a time, and haven't had any problems. It gets plenty hot here in SC in the summer time, and I found that the trunk is actually cooler than the interior.

I second the idea of leaving a tripod in there all the time. Keep several quick release plates in there, too.

I use a Tenba P211 bag and keep a camera, 50mm f1.8, 70-210mm f4 zoom and a flash in it. The typical supplies, blower brush, lens cleaning equipment, 10 rolls of film, different, a few filters, spare camera/flash batteries. I actually throw it over my shoulder when I leave in the morning and keep on the passenger seat, next to my briefcase. When I get to work, I carry it in and likewise going home. The camera changes from time to time, depending on which one I am taking out. But it has paid off, I have seen shots when the lighting is great or unusual and all kinds of subject matter. Plus it makes me feel better that my whole commute is not just there to get to and from work.

PS,

I also always carry a small tackle box and G.Loomis travel fishing rod in my car. You have to take the opportunity when it presents itself.