430 EX auto focus without firing flash. Posible?

marshall_angus

Ok I have a 350D and a 430EX. Is is possible to have the autofocus

from the 430 work without having the flash bulb fire? The autofocus

on the flash unit is way faster and more acurate then the one on the

camera body. I want to shoot bands in concert lighting, but I find

that the viewfinder in the 350 is to dark for some manual focus

situations. If its not possible do you guys and girls have any other

suggestions?

Marshall

I seem to recall that the 20D and higher bodies have a custom function to stop the flash firing, but allow the af assist to work. I don't believe the 350D has that custom function, so my guess is it can't be done.

If you need af assist without flash, the ST-E2 (I think that is what it is called) provides af assist and wireless flash control, but doesn't have a flash built in itself.

cheers

<p> This option is rare. It's in the EOS 30 and 20D but not in the 350D (<a href="http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70vsRebelXT_pg3.shtml">C. Fn. 5 controls the AF-assist beam. The three choices are ON, OFF and fire only the external flash</a>) and <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00F6D0">not in the 1D either</a> :-(<b></b> </p>

<p>Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim.</p>

Wait a minute. Whats the question... To get the 350D and 430EX to not fire a pre-flash?

Hmmm... I have exactly the same combination. I put the flash in Auto and the camera in Manual and I only ever see ONE flash...

If I use rear curtain synch then you will see 2 flashes if the 430ex is in AUTO... rear curtain synch plus manual mode on the 430ex will result in only ONE flash. I do see the red matrix appear on the person in front of me.

Peter.

I have the same combination.

If you check on the internet, you can find an modified firmware for Canon 300d. After that, it works like 10d (One of the new functions in custom mode is the one, that you are looking for, beam is working, but the flash does not fire). I think, that one doesn't work for my camera (I'm not willing to check).

I am still looking for that kind of upgrade for 350d. If someone knows anything, please...

• 1 year later...

Ok... this is a very low tech workaround and maybe not much better than manual focusing.

I am in a similar position to you I have a 350D and a 430EX. I want to use the auto focus assist without the flash firing.

With the flash turned on do a half press and it will fire the AF assist beam to focus. Now turn off the flash without taking your finger off the shutter button. The camera will adjust to the new conditions (flash off) and you can continue to a full press.

I hope it helps.