Newbie with D50 needs help with lens........

brooklyn_hospital

Hi. I am a newbie with a D50. So far I have a nikon 28-80 lens with

it. I love taking pictures of my 6 month old daughter and the wife

1500 pics in 1 month with d50. I also love taking nature pics like

sceneries, flowers, sunrise and sunset. I am taking this hobby to

heart. I just got a nice tripod and ballhead. Now I need your help

in finding a good lens that I can grow with. If you can please

educate me with what I should go for. I might also use it for film

cameras in the future. What are my options? Thanks you very much!

GODBLESS!

Since you already have the 28-80 another midrange zoom like the 18-70/3.5-4.5 DX would be redundant unless you need the wider field of view. Also, the 18-70 DX can't be used on a film camera without vignetting (darkened corners and edges).

Here are a few reasonably priced alternatives to complement what you already have:

1. The 60mm f/2.8 AF Micro Nikkor. This will help with those nature closeups. It's also a good focal length for portraits.

2. 50mm f/1.8D or 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor. If you'd like to take more photos in available light without always relying on flash, you'll want a faster lens. At around $100 new the 50/1.8 is one of the best bargains in the Nikkor lineup. The f/1.4 version is more expensive but is more versatile in dim lighting.

Don't get too carried away with extra lenses just yet. Making the transition from film to digital takes some time and you'll have your hands full just getting accustomed to using the camera and tweaking the photos.

Get a 50mm f1.8. Every photographer should have one of these lenses. You are lacking in the wide angle department. You might consider a 20mm prime, good for film and digital. A good used 20mm should cost you about $250.00. Your 28-80 is an OK lens but its nothing special. You might consider the 18-70mm AFS as a replacement or the 18-55 AFS to augment your focal length range. These zoom lenses are digital only but your 28-80 will give you good wide coverage on a film camera.

I agree, every Nikon user should own a 50mm f1.8. I read this hundreds of times and took the advice, I'm definetly very pleased. It's one of the best �100 I've spent. :)

<p>

The next lens on my list is the Sigma 24-70mm f.28 which seems sharp and fast for the small price.

<p>

See sample images <a href="http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/2470_28_ex_dg_asp_df" target="_blank">HERE</a>. Images from PBase which is great site to to look at when considering new lens, the sample images are from photographers of all skill levels, giving a good idea of what a lens is like.<p>

You will probably need a wider angle to capture those sceneries. The Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X Pro is getting pretty good reviews and costs half as much as the Nikon equivalent.

The Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 is simply a must have: good, light, cheap. Perfect for indoor shooting without having to reach for your flash.

If you do want to do sports, you'll need a tele. The Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/2.8 ED raves among critics but it's probably not very well balanced with your D50. The Nikkor AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6 is a decent budget option.

Personally, I just got my hands on a Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8 Micro. Superb for insects, flowers and more. First time that I'm looking forward to all those bugs waking up for spring!

"There is plenty of beauty out there waiting for those capable of appreciating it."