Olympus FL-36 or FL-50?

tracy_perrine

I just purchased an Olympus E-330 and want to get an external flash. I have no

experience with these types of flashes and need some advice. I am wanting it in

conjunction with a lightdome difuser for taking portraits both in and outdoors

for 1 to 20 people. Do I need to spend the extra money for the 50 or will the

36 do just fine? What is the main difference between the two? Thanks so much

for your help and advice.<div>00GdW6-30111384.jpg.608b1a881aef9c75c4d8850118238c8a.jpg</div>

That is a very pleasant photo, friend.<p> In discussions between the users of both flashes,the verdict is that they are both fine units, designed for your camera. With a light modifier you won't need all their fancy features,but those will come in handy when you do stuff like outdoor flash fill for those shadows. On the other hand,some light modifiers suck up a fair amount of light...but for headshots and head and shoulders, not so bad. I would wildarse guess, for you, the FL 36 is a good choice. Others who have the exact combo will know more. The basic difference FL 36 to the FL 50 is more power(heavier unit), faster recovery between shots, and ability to add on a high voltage pack for the fastest recycle of the capacitor to power up. As a new user, I wouldn't sweat those. If you shoot sports in a gym,another thing though<p>

Get the FL 36 and enjoy..Say, incidentally, Tracy, how do you like the E 330 so far? Kind of a new item on the shelves for lots of Olympus users. <p> Thought might be to save on the flash money in case you decide to pony up for an upgrade to the lens for the speedier/better in low light models. Have fun. GS

Re the Metz suggestion,-forget it. Re the twenty people with a lightdome,good luck, as you will need it. Re the one person with a lightdome, just try the Fl 36. Don't think about a shoe flash to substitute for a studio flash is what I am hinting. They are made for what they are made for.

Of course,two used Vivitar 285 HV on stands from KEH could help,but then better consider a flash meter if you go with a non Olympus flash.

Life is complicated, Tracy. Try the Fl 36 if you can find one in stock. (You can always sell it later,no sweat...)