Out Of Gamut Fix W/ PSCS2

I took a portrait and the shirt has many out of gamut colors in the

blues. What is your opinion of the right way to fix out of gamut

colors? These photo's are taken with Canon 20D in raw...then fixed

up in Photoshop CS2...then printed on a dye sub printer or at Sams

Club on their nice Fuji set up. Your recommendations are

appreciated.

When you softproof with the output profile (the one used by the printer) and certain colors

are out of gamut, you can repair this in Hue/Saturation. First turn on gamut warning. Then go

to Hue/Saturation. Select the color that is out of gamut and lower the saturation or the

lightness of that shade until it is within gamut (or almost within gamut, because a little out of

is no problem). Of course this will give you less saturated colors for that shade, but such is

better than getting a flat puddle of max saturated color.

Hi Eddie, You didn't mention what rendering intent you used when printing to your dye sub printer, (It's probably out of your hands if Sam's Club prints them) or which working space you're using.

Anyway, when converting from a larger gamut to a smaller one, tonal compression pretty much has to occur. For example if your working space is ProPhoto RGB (a relatively large gamut) and say, Sam's Club is using sRGB (a relatively small gamut) then something's gotta give.

Most photo labs use sRGB, by the way, so you might want to call Sam's club and ask them. If they do us sRGB you might want to convert to it (if you're not already shooting in sRGB) prior to giving them the images to print.

Back to the dye-sub: If you were using "Relative Colormetric" as your rendering intent in Photoshop then it may be more likely to clip out-of-gamut colors. You might try "Perceptual Rendering" instead. These are choices that appear in the "Print with Preview" screen.

Another option would be to stick with sRGB, both when shooting and as your working space. While it's a smaller gamut to be sure you probably won't have any clipping problems with out-of-gamut colors for that very reason. I think sRGB has gotten a lot of undeserved bad press. I doubt there's anyone in the world who could look at a print and tell you whether it was shot using Adobe RGB or sRGB. Good luck!

Hi,

I would recommend the selective colour desaturation followed by Rel Col rendering. That way YOU are in control of the process. The problem with Perceptual rendering is that it shifts the entire gamut of the original image. So if your original image had some colours that are way outside the printer gamut then you may see a significant shift across all colours.

Ian

http://profiles.colourperfect.co.uk