interesting rules

Sanford

Two interesting items from a page of rules for photographing at a PGA

tour event (that's golf). "Professional grade cameras and lenses must

be used and may be use only by accrediated media representatives who

have been issued photo credentials..." and "Noise-free equipment must

be used at all times". I guess that means an M6 with a 400mm lens!

We all know that in reportage and sports photgraphy digital is the way to go. I can only hope that if Leica brings out the Leica M Digital, it will also be used by reportage and sports photographers, like in the old days. It will have a quiet shutter and you'll be able to shoot in RAW. Why wouldn't a photojournalist want to use it? Many magazine and newspaper shots were once shot with these magnificent small cameras, only to be replaced by digital slr's because that meant faster transmission to newsdesks. If Leica comes with a digital M, I can only hope that Leica's old glory in this field will be restored and celebrated. It would be great to see professional reporters carry M's again.

Related 01:

I attended a Mark Twain impersonator's performance in my small Ohio town in November 2005. Rules were no photos. I had a Rollei TLR and fast film, sat in the front row, and could have easily shot with nobody's knowledge with the camera in my lap, but obeyed the rules. Actor told me afterwards I should 've taken the shot, it's just flash and loud shutters that are outlawed, due to being distracting and annoying.

Related 02:

Viewed "Art of the Motorcycle" at Wonders Museum, in Memphis TN. Cameras were allowed, with the purchase of a permit, and so was flash - but no tripods. I guess the concern was with a tripod falling over onto a $100,000 motorcycle, instead of with cumulative flash exposures fading the paint.

The rules are fine, the main point is if the event actually is an event, or if the media (e.g.

the paparazzi) are the event.

Example: a play at a theatre. i'd kick everyone out of the audience who dares to fire his MG

like SLR shutter and flash the devil out of the stage. This is a real event, it's about what is

happening, and any attempt of some dumb photographer to take control over the event

and become himself the center of attention is an outrage.

Example: some meaningless politicians or other irrelevant celebs gather to celebrate their

celebrity status. Nothing noteworthy happens, probably nobody would care. Here the

opposite is true - since there is no real event it's the photographers who "make" the event.

Rightfully are they shouting, running to and fro, firing away like artillery in D-Day, because

its them, the media, who all is really about.

It's right that today PJ don't get as close to the celebs as before. Today celebs want to be

in control of their public image, and every time they rear their heads is an inscenation of

themselves. A PJ moving among them snapping silently away would be out of control, and

might create images the celebs are not interested in - look at the excellent coverage of

politics until the 70s, and the meaningless pics we get today. Politicians were less

conscious of their image, and more about their work. Therefore they allowed PJ to be

present and document things that today would be out of the question.

Pity we think that photojournalism is about "celebs" and photographers. What about ordinary people going about their lives? What about documenting the "human condition".

I live in a house that chooses to be free of television because our family feel like they live in the real reality, not the fairy story that passes for TV reality. Fantasy becomes reality.

Don't get me started...suffice to say that the people who are what this life is really about are not hard to get close to...the problem is the people who think they are important.

grumpy at 8:00am

Mike

I use to work for an editor who said, "I hate golf. You know what I hate more than golf?

Golfers."<P> What little golf I've ever shot (I hate <I>photographing</I> golf) the general

rule was not to shoot a picture before the swing. Once the golfer had swung it was okay to

shoot. Also getting directly "in the sight" of the golfer when lining up a putt was a no-no.

When I was at the San Jose Mercury News I sent a sound blimp with one of the photographers

to the "Crosby" as it was called. He was practically laughed off the course. We never bothered

again.

John - you're right, there are few things more boring to watch or photograph than golf. When the marshalls raise their arms for silence before a shot it's like some wierd science fiction movie watching 10,000 people become frozen in mid-step and mid-sentence. What can you say about a sport where Justin Timberlake is now considered a celeb player in the pro-am.

Yeah guys I've regained my good humour and I didn't sustain a rupture getting down off the soapboax ;-)

Sanford you might be right, maybe I should stop being inconsistent and get rid of the computer.

Nels I really like sopranos - particularly Joan Sutherland and Kiri te Kanawa.

Regards

Happy Mike