oscar_sandberg

hi!

I own a 503cx and the CFE 80mm lens which has given me beautiful pictures but I

now feel that I want more coverage.

So Im looking to buy a 50mm to my 503cx and Im wondering about the different

versions of the zeiss 50mm lens.

is the 50mm f.4 CF FLE the best of the bunch?is it worth its price of around

1200$ in used condition?

is the FLE version MUCH better than the CF version?

is the silver 50mm more bang for the buck with its price?

those kind of thought are running around in my head...

thanks!/Oscar

Oscar,<br><br>Yes, the FLE is the best of the bunch.<br><br>Is it worth $ 1200?<br>Yes, it is.<br>But can you get it for quite a bit less?<br>Probably, yes.<br><br>Is the FLE much better than the non-FLE? (there are CF and CFi versions of the FLE lens, so the CF version will not be better than the CF version ;-)).<br>No. Better, but not "MUCH" better.<br><br>Whether a silver C version gives more bang for the buck very much depends on its condition. These 'silver' lenses are rather old, and though the glass doesn't mind, the mechanical bits may have suffered. But you can still find perfectly good 'silver' C lenses. Optically, the C lens is as good as (because identical to) the non-FLE CF version.

Oscar,

I faced the same situation with my 503cx! I tried the 50fle, and just the 50cf version, without the extra focusing ring of the fle. Bought the cf, got a good deal, am very happy! The older lenses are long in the tooth, and as relatively "cheap" as used cf lenses are, that made the most sens to me.Plus another focusing ring is one too many!

Robert

I've been using a 50 CF FLE for about 5 years, and it's an amazing piece of glass- really

beautiful images, super sharp. I've never once used the FLE ring on the front, as I shoot

landscapes, I hear the CF version is very good as well. If you can find a FLE for around $1200

that sounds reasonable (I paid much more in 2000)<div>00JzAL-35016484.jpg.f43d8857252213ce85958587fee527fa.jpg</div>

Hi Oscar,

I recently bought a chrome C 50mm Zeiss lens for my 500CM. I really enjoy using it but the shutter does seem to lag behind a bit on the slower speeds.

It also has a flare problem that I understand the newer multicoated lenses may not have so badly.

So, I would suggest getting a newer lens and pay the extra!

Mike.

Oscar, I have owned two 50mm Cf lenses. I was not happy with the image quality of the first one--which I bought brand new. I had to stop it down to f/11.5 to get the edges sharp enough, and f/16 for the corners. I sold it, but thinking it could not have been all that bad, I picked up a used one a couple of years later. I still was not happy, and sold that one, too. Now I have an FLE. I have not had it too long, but so far the results look promising, with good definition out to the edges without stopping down as far. I did not have to pay as much as $1200. I got it for under $800 from KEH.com. It was listed as "bargain" condition; but I can't see why it isn't "like new." It seems perfect. Careful shopping will pay off.

Some correspondence, via this forum, with Dr. Fleischer at Zeiss was informative. Dr. Fleischer said that the FLE was significantly improved, not just at close range, but even at infinity. I have the link to that thread on my other computer, but I don't have access to it right now. I'll post the link if I can find it.