D200 is back, 'Banding' is fixed & Firmware updated. - Link?

richard sweet

Hi,<p>

I'vr just got my D200 back from Nikon UK and the 'Banding' problem

seems solved (though I still see vertical lines, but I'm sure this is

my imagination). The guy I spoke to said they had: <i>"Recalibrated

the 'Output'"</I>. But I also noticed the firmware had changed from

v1.00 to v1.01.<p>

I suppose updating the firmware is normal and could have nothing to do

with fixing the 'Banding' problem - Or it could be they've developed a

firmware fix for the problem<p>

Any thoughts/infomation??

<p>

Thanks in advance.

I think the banding issue is a physical phenomena with the pixel column sense amps, that every pixel read after a blown-out pixel will have an incorrectly high apparent signal. Slowing down the image capture to "recover" a normal level, or recalibrating the 0 level after pixel blow-out, would help. I guess that could be done in firmware...

I wonder whether the chip designers took a shortcut in the access circuitry, perhaps to reduce costs, that makes this sensor more prone than other designs. In cheap video cameras this problem is identical (is it called smearing?), except that in the d200 each column is read in alternating directions, causing apparent banding.

<i>"When you say, the firmware upgrade, what do you mean?

<p>

There are two numbers, A and B"

<p>

Mine says A 1.01 B 1.00</i><p>

Yes, thats what mine says, but I'm sure when I first got the camera both A and B were v1.00.<p>

I'm not sure what the differnce between A and B is, I first thought that the camera could store to sets of firmware and the reason you had A and B was so you could swap between the two if needed.

<p>

Though I now don't think this is the case, at least I can't find a way to toggle between the two.

"Recalibrated the 'Output'"

potentially relevant old thread

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EyCw

Sometimes I try to speculate about what might be going on (based on my career in digital electronics), but will desist. Likewise will refrain from various 'findings' in other forums I read when I returned from vacation. :) I would love to look over the shoulders of whomever is dealing with this in the Nikon labs though, and sit in on their strategy meetings. -Greg-

My D200 also has Firmware Version No. "A 1.00" and "B 1.01". However, the menu does not allow selection of either "A" or "B". The manual (p. 123) is rather terse on the subject.

I looked at the EXIF data for the JPEG images: the software/firmware version is 1.00. I'm guessing, these fields are reserved for ping-pong switching between firmware loads in case the upload of the latest firmware is corrupted. The selector does not work considering there is only one version at the present time. Assignment of "B 1.01" is a guess on the part of the firmware developers of what the next revision will be named and is put there not to leave an empty field.

If the amplification of the four output channels of the chip require to be calibrated before an image without banding is obtained, this is a serious problem with the technology. I wonder why the D2X, which has also this kind of a system, doesn't have banding, or at least I've never read about it.

I suppose this could have been why Nikon chose the CMOS for the D2X although it may have a bit more high iso noise than the D200's CCD. The 12MP CMOS is a working, finished product, while the 10MP CCD seems to be in beta testing.

Ben and Aj - "My D200 also has Firmware Version No. "A 1.00" and "B 1.01". However, the menu does not allow selection of either "A" or "B""

You can't switch from one to the other. They're both always in use.

The A firmware runs the smaller processor that does autofocus, metering, scans all the top pannel buttons, runs the shutter, mirror, top panel LCD, flash, and power management. The B firmware runs a large RISC processor that transfers images from sensor to memory, processes them, and stores them on flash. It runs the LCD display and the buttons on the back.