Leica M, portraits and 75/2 ?

I'm sorry; it is of course the 75 Summicron. I don't have and haven't used the 75 Summilux. I was just getting ready to post my POW in Jack's thread, and it was taken with the 35 Summilux, and - it being late at night - I got confused. Good catch!

As you know any lens can do a nice portrait...I particularly like the portraits done by August Sander, with a 4x5 standard lens.

For the tighter stuff I prefer a 90mm (at a minimum)- seems to work fine w/ my .72 mag. When I want tighter I'll use my F5 and 105mm/2.5.

Best - Paul

Hi Sergey

Before you invest a huge amount of money on a Leica system, I would like to take the

alternative point of view. I have used M6's and Leica glass for many years (about 15) and

the quality of the final image can often be superb (probably the best in any 35mm format/

brand). I used this system for travel shots for magazines/stock/illustration, and the

occassional studio/outdoor portrait.

A year ago I bought a DSLR with various lenses (D2X) for my portrait business to replace a

Mamiya RZ (6x7). The DSLR also produces superb images, easily equal to the RZ (in final

print size to about A2)

My conclusions in answer to your particulr questions are:

The Leica M system has top lens quality that I have only equalled on the Nikon with their

85 1.4 lens. In particular the Leica 90 Elmarit is a really fantastic portrait lens (for street

and studio) and I would imagine the 70/2 cron is equal/better. The Nikon glass (I have not

tried the entire range!) apart from the superb 85/1.4 is good but not Leica quality in terms

of

sharpness, resolution IMHO.

Personally I love using the DSLR for portraits, I can shoot of loads of frames without

worrying about the cost, try new stuff I would not normally have done with film (just

because it is 'free') and then don't have to worry about scanning/retouching afterwards.

And the print quality is fantastic.

For

all my travel stuff (I do expedition style photography) I still prefer the Leica because it is

lighter to carry around, and I know I can totally rely on it (the fact that it is not crammed

full of computer bits which possibly are more delicate than the M6).

There is a huge differnece in framing on a RF system to your D70, the framelines being

good but not perfect for tight framing. This, though, is something you will almost certainly

get used to. The focusing with the RF is pretty well as easy as it gets (even in low light)

and I find it no faster/slower/less or more accruate than the advanced auto focus on my

D2X.

For sure the Leica will be quiet and discreet on the street, but honestly I think your D70 is

no more obtrusive or particularly louder (okay a bit louder) in an outdoor situation - a

person with a camera on the street will either attract attention or not with a small DSLR or

an M6.

I don't want to put you off buying into the Leica rangefinder system (for heaven's sake I

have two M6's and five lenses, love them to bits and would never part with them) but if it

is the final image you are concerned with (as opposed to absolute quality) then I would

stick with the Nikon, spend some money on the D200 and something like the 50 1.8 or 85

1.4 (if you do not already have them) and continue shooting great pictures (as you do

already).

On the other hand, if you have set your heart on the Leica RF system then I am sure you

will love it.

Sorry if this is a ramble but thought I would share some personal thoughts with you.

Good luck with the decision.

David (UK)

Oh and, Sergey,

I know it is a difficult comaprison (my travel stuff/studio portraits/viewing on the screen)

but all the colour portraits were with the Nikon, the BW with the RZ and all the travel with

the M6 and either a 28/2, 50/2 or 90/2.8 - if you are interested.

www.davidmyersphotography.com

regards

David (UK)

David - thanks a lot for your advice - with excellent photography to add weight to it! My "technical" research is mostly about limits of rangefinder film photography. I absolutely agree that digital gives you a lot of convenience and quality. I currently use Canon's 5D with few lens and do appreciate how well it works. Not image quality drives my "change wish". To some extent I deliberately want to give myself some serious jolt by moving - may be temporarily - to quite new image taking procedure. It's about learning new tricks - and maybe new vision. Portrait shooting abilities of rangefinder are to some extent insurance - what if wide angle won't work for me like it works for D.A.Harvey and A.Webb. And one more thing - I am quite shy and I hope that "retro point-and-shoot" look of Leica will help my to break this barrier...

Thanks again,

Sergey

And, by the way - all above is reasoning, not decision. I asked my friend to scan (on Nikon 5000D) few slides I shot using borrowed film camera. I'll see how it will work for my workflow. And I'll wait for Canon to announce new stuff. And I do know that travelling with film is major pain and it will be still bigger pain. And...