Leica M, portraits and 75/2 ?

I am talking myself into getting rangefinder for "low visibility" candid

photography (street, environmental portraiture) and while tiny quiet leicas

seem to have a lot of advantages for that arena, I am worried about using them

for reasonably tight portraits with medium tele lenses.

On paper new 75/2 Summicron looks very interesting - tiny, focuses to 1:7,

fast enough. But at the same time I notice lack of tight portraits done using

M Leica - not only on the web, but in printed literature as well - at lest

this is my impression.

It may be artistic choice - but are there any significant technical

disadvantages which make using medium telephoto lenses on rangefinder

unefficient? I undestand that above 100 mm rangefinder focusing with wide open

lenses is tricky - but is it seasonably accurate with 75mm at f/2 - in

practice not in theory? Does parallax makes framing/focussing difficult at

close distances?

I have developed some aversion to the mirror slap and huge size of modern

DSLRs - so Leica may be good answer - but still I shoot primarily for image -

so it would be useful to know limitations before making plunge (and very

expensive one).

Thanks a lot!

Sergey

http://www.pbase.com/sergeyushakov/

http://www.photo.net/photos/SergeyUshakov

Sergei, the Leica APO 75/2 Summicron is the best short telephoto lens (and probably THE

best lens) I ever used it.

I am finding myself using it in all situations, and the only limitation I see in using it is when

low light conditions occur and a tripod is not handy. But then very low speed film helps a lot.

I own many Leica lenses, but the 2/75 Summicron has become my perfect companion, the

only lens I would keep should I be forced/decide to sell on my whole collection.

It is at the moment, actually, the only lens I am using (and occasionally my 50mm Summicron

f2 50th anniversary...).

It gives me all I want when I take a photography.<div>00HigK-31847184.thumb.jpg.1216269cbb8ee49603afedaa93249a26.jpg</div>

nice shots, Luigi!, I like No. 1 in particular

In No.3 you have a rather strong reticulation, intentional or not, I can only guess, but I do not think it makes a very nice bokeh... In any way, the subject in focus is immune to retuculation.

The lens arrived to Patrick on Friday, many thanx indeed!

Personally, I find the 75mm focal length much too short for tight portraits on 35mm. With a Leica M, a 90mm is about the longest lens that is easy to use for portraits, but even then I try not to get too close. My Leica SL, however, handles close shots with it's 135mm fairly quietly with less mirror slap than usual with SLR's. I love your photos, and have saved them for later review. Ken

Valery, nice to have you here...!

Small world, isn'it?

I am glad the lens arrived safely, now I hope you'll like it once you actually get hold of it...!

The reticulation in picture number 3 is actually a "wired work of art" and it was my intention

to get it in the way of the (beautiful...) lady friend of mine...

Sergei, as you say, the 75/2 Apo-Summicron will get you to 1:7 magnification factor at its closest focusing distance. The only current Leica M lens that can do any better is the 90/4 Macro-Elmar, which can get you to 1:3 at its closest focusing distance with the macro-adaptor. If the 1:7 provided by the 75/2 is not close enough for your requirements, it is not the lens for you.

I have used the 75/1.4 Summilux and the 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit (an older but very compact lens) for portraits with fine results. The framing ability of the Leica M is more than adequate for portraiture. But if you want really tightly cropped portraits in which a portion of a person's face fills the frame, Leica M is not the best choice. The only way to do it would be to magnify the image during post processing.

Once you are proficient in the technique of using a rangefinder, using 75mm lenses close up

is not much of a problem. You just have to make sure that you have gotten accurate focus

using the rangefinder patch, and then be sure that by recomposing, you are not throwing the

plane of focus off. Once you have done it a bit, you begin to be able to judge it fairly easily. I

also own the 75mm Summicron, and I will agree with the rest of the posters in saying it is

one of the very best lenses I have ever used. It has fantastic optical performance, a nice

image charcter, it is fast, has a nice perspective, and it handles very well. The lens will not let

you down as long as you don't let it down.

Thanks a lot for comments, really beautiful samples - and kind words!

I understand that rangefinder is different beast and not a jack of all trades like SLR... I am "digital" right now - but this is overly important IMHO. And again the samples are very nice and extremely helpful - keep them coming :)

Thanks a lot!

Sergey

75mm is one of those "in between" focal lengths that happens to be extremely useful. You can think of it as a short telephoto or a long normal, but you can leave it on your camera much of the time and find a LOT of use for it. I tend to use 50mm for environmentall portraiture, but when I want to tighten it up, sure enough I find myself cropping to aboout the field of view of a 75. I think 75 is more useful for people shots than 90 is because the 90 is too long and almost forces me into the tight shot. 75 is as long I will want to go if I want to engage. If I want to remain unobtrusive and work from a distance, I will go to a 135mm.

I think it's the best portrait lens available for any 35mm system - maybe the best for any system. I've discussed it <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EPhV">here</a> and a lot of my portraits <a href="http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=4827">here</a> were taken with it. I've posted this shot several times before - it shows what the 75 Summilux ASPH can do as well as any picture I've taken.<div>00Hj2a-31857284.jpg.993c574fbbc699e027b61118a943c1ad.jpg</div>