help! I need a good portrait lens for low lights for my 10D

jody_mobley

I very much liked the 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 on my 10D as well, and they are great peformers on my 5D.

That being said, the convenience of a zoom like the 24-70/2.8 is something that can't be ignored (or the older 28-70/2.8, which I think was a strong performer at the long end).

i agree that when i shoot with ambient light you cannot beat the canon EF 50mm

f/1.4. it is fantastic, i think 90% of my portfolio was shot with that lens. if i had the money i

would pop for the L series 28-70 f/2.8 or the 16-35 f/2.8, which are both supposed to be

fantastic. for half the price the 17-35 f/4 is supposed to be a great lens but you obviously

lose your fastest stop. for outstanding and extensive lens reviews, you can't beat this site:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/canonFAQ.htm

50 1/4 or 85/1.8 without a doubt, depending on how much reach hyou want.

The 2.8's are a little too dark for very low light, causing you to crank up the iso to 1600 or 3200 a little too often. But they allow you to use a zoom. For 2.8's that you can use at an event that don't break the bank, the tamron 28-75 and new sigma 24-70 macro have been well received.

I have a canon 10d, and use the 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and tamron 28-75. I recommend them all. It just depends on what you want to do.

24-70 f2.8 is the lens I use 90+ percent of the time for general wedding shooting. Fixed length primes are inconvenient, and on any camera less than the 1DsMkII, you won't distinguish any difference in prime v. zoom. I'd also give the nod to the 70-200 f2.8 IS as a second lens, but we use it much less often than originally anticipated.

I have found on my 5d that my 50mm 1.4 and other lenses I have tested at wide open have such limited DOF that often very little is in focus. Perhaps not such an issue with your FOV crop camera. It is something one has to consider for both your applications especially weddings where you might need a group to be in focus. OTOH the brighter viewfinder using fast glass makes manual and AF focus much easier and what you want in focus is easier to achieve.

I tried a 85 1.2 and at 1.2 the DOF was so shallow that a headshot became almost impossible.

• 2 years later...