Hasselblad and Nikon 3t Close-up filter

alan lee

Hi Everyone,

I have the 80mm CT Planar and been thinking about shooting closer to

my subject with the help of a closeup filter. I've read that the

Proxar, a one-element filter, can reduce sharpness. What do you guys

think about the Nikon 3t, a two-element filter? I've heard great

things about it, but couldn't find anyone who uses it with a medium

format camera. Any comments are appreciated.

You get much better results with an Hasselblad using extension rings than closeup "filters". You may also have a hard time finding an adapter for B60 to a 62mm threaded filter. A 3T is 52mm, which is a big problem (the 5T and 6T are 62mm). I use extension rings on my lenses 80mm and up with good results. KEH often has used rings at a reasonable price - http://www.keh.com/

Thanks, guys. I think I'd look more into the extension tubes. There are so many different sizes: 8, 10, 16, 32. Can the 80mm actually fit all of them? I downloaed the Closeup.pdf at Hasselblad, but it doesn't seem to cover all the sizes. Seems 8 is the recommended one. Is this the size you guys use?

The more recent versions are 8mm, 16mm, 32mm and 56mm. These can be used in various combination, together with the focusing range of the lens, to give you overlapping coverage for all lenses from 80mm to 250mm. Older versions at 10mm, 21mm, etc. don't overlap as well. The book "The Hasselblad Manual" by Ernst Wildi has tables which thoroughly explain their use and ranges with various lenses.

my 0.2: i love the Proxare, as a matter of fact i've got two complete sets. as you probably

know you can stack them, thus getting enormous magnification for macro. never noticed any

degrading no matter what the theory says - at least with my kind of shooting, portraits only. i

also do own all available extensions, which keep sitting unused on a shelf. you lose light and

with most Blad lenses this is a real nuisance. on top, unless you have a metered prism, you

have to do your own math in order to get a decent exposure ...

Ah...<br><br>It's really not a matter of "what the theory says" at all.<br>It is a matter of what you see in the resulting images.<br><br>And believe me, especially with the things stacked to get "enormous magnification", you do not have to look very hard to see what these lenses do.<br><br>So i guess we have hit upon an instance of "the eye of the beholder", helped along by a hefty dose of "the other option is too much trouble" here... ;-)

whoa! is that a flame? :-) whatever, i hope you don't mind my calling you beholder, then.

again, for my type of picture taking, the difference does not matter. sharpness and fuzzy

edges is not really an issue when doing portraits, now is it? and, provided it does not matter,

what's the point fiddling around with extensions and a calculator. and again, they are sitting

on a shelf, not because of lazyness but because of simple pragmatism. given, "my way" might

not yield satisfactoy results if you'Re into macro-shooting flowers or 1:1's of your stamp

collection.

and if not convinced, yet, i'm more than happy to post examples ...