Scientific Lens Co.

philip_glass

Hi Phillip,

I have one of their lenses. It is for 8x10 and is in their terminology, Extreme Wide Angle. It is a four element symmetrical design. It is appx.150mm. It covers the format with room to spare. It was probably made over a hundred years ago. It is a good performer when stopped down. I only use it for contact prints and don't know how it would hold up to enlarging. Scientific Lens Co. was probably one of the many optics firms in the Rochester area.

Good luck with yours.

Peter

I'd like to know more about them too. I have 2 of their lenses. Both are 8 elements 2 groups like a Protar VII. Or perhaps a Plastigmat since getting a license from B&L would have been cheaper than going the Zeiss route. Ashamed to say I've never made a photo with either of them. So many lenses, so little time.

OK, I'll confess to having one, also. Marked "A. Anastigmat No 6". Something in the back of my head tells me it's supposed to cover 11x14, but since the big Seneca is still in the hospital, I can't prove it. Who knows what a No 6 meant to Scientific. It's a US System f/3, (don't ask me to convert it; 16=16, but that's all I remember).

I put it on an 8x10 and was very pleasantly surprised at the sharpness on the GG. I don't recall what kind of fall-off it had. I guess I would have estimated focal length then, but I don't recall what it might be. Of course, I never took a picture with it. Someday......