Lost the wide end - now what?

steffen_kluge1

I loved my 24mm/f2.8. In fact, it was one of my favourite lenses -

small, dramatic and good wide open (I used to use slow chromes). I

eyed 20mm and below numerous times but could never afford them. For me

24 was the wide end.

Then came the 1.5 inflation. It brought me super tele lengths at no

extra cost, but my teles (180 and 300, and 2x) get at most 10% of my

shots. The bulk is the wide range. And that just got narrowed to 36mm.

Hmm.

Had a look at the DX wides - all zooms, slow, super expensive although

probably cheaper to design/make (smaller image circle).

I'm now trying to decide which of the good old (AiS is fine) wide

primes are worth hunting for. A 20 is most likely what I'll be

getting, but it won't be nearly as wide as my 24 used to be. The 18

and 15 look verrry desirable, but are worth more than their weight in

gold.

Assuming that this must be a common dilemma, I'd like to hear what

others have ended up doing about the "wide gap". Are there any

non-Nikon lenses I should look at?

Cheers

Steffen.

Shun Cheung, I agree. That lens looks like the answer. The extra stop is something I could probably live comfortably with when using a D2H. However, over here it sells at around $2000 (Australian). This is way beyond what I can justify, After all, I'm an amateur and make hardly any money from my pics.

Cheers

Steffen.

I didnt <em>Go digital</em> I added digital

so I still have film bodies and therefore super wide down to 15/5.6,

thats my solution (for now).<br>

<br>

The 12~24/4.0G ED-IF AF-S DX and 14/2.8D AF are available. 12mm

on DX gets you an angle of view like that of 18~19mm on film

depending on your DSLR. 14mm gives the same as 21~22mm. The 20/2.8D

AF or 20/2.8 AIS only gets you a view similar to 30~31mm. Not too

super?<br>

<br>

If you sold out of film SLR(s) you have two choices: buy another

film body or buy a new lens.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

I purchased a used Sigma 14mm f3.5 lens which I found to work very well on my D70 (when I had one, since sold it). I now shoot full-frame 14mm on my F3HP.

The 2.8 version is improved somewhat, from what I hear, but I've never shot with one.

Dave

Steffen, I don't see why you cannot mail order from B&H and pay US$940 or so for the 12-24 DX. In fact, I have some friends in Sydney and that is exactly what they do on a regular basis. Today, 1 US$ is like 1.25 Australian dollar, which is a lot more favorable to you compared to 3 years ago when I visited Australia, when it was 1 US$ = 1.8 A$ back then.

Sorry but I have to dispute the statement "The 18 and 15 look verrry desirable, but are

worth more than their weight in gold."

Gold is at about US$475 right now. The 18mm weighs 12 oz, the 12-24mm a shocking

1.07 lbs. So that puts the 18mm at $5700 and the 12-24 at $8132.

At those prices, the lenses you want are down right affordable compared to gold! Buy 'em

both!!

Thanks for all the answers, they give me a lot to ponder about. Better start saving soon...

Peter, regarding the angle light hits the sensor, I hadn't heard if this particular issue before. Is it documented that film Nikkors perform worse with digital bodies? I always thought they'd be better with digital since the area where they usually show their weaknesses the most gets cropped.

Looking at my 24/f2.8, the rear element, while not very big is still quite far away from the film plane (some 40mm at infinity focus). Even in the corners of the frame the angle would still be pretty steep (less than 30 degrees from perpendicular, for rays emanating from the centre of the rear element). With digital sensors it would naturally get steeper anyway.

Cheers

Steffen.

I would definitely get the Tokina 12-24. It really is a nice lens, equivalent of a 18-36 mm FF lens. Furthermore it is made of metal and has a very worthly feel and touch. The optics seem to be comparable to the 2x as expensive Nikon model, with people and reviewers favouring one or the other in roughly equal numbers. It is only 499 at B+H.

<p><i>Assuming that this must be a common dilemma, I'd like to hear what others have ended up doing about the "wide gap". Are there any non-Nikon lenses I should look at?</i>

<p>I bought Nikkor 20/2.8 and Sigma 14/3.5 used, then 12-24 new and sold the Sigma (it has bad flare problem due to bulbous front element). The 20 I use mainly for film but it's too cute to part with.

I've thought about the Tokina, but haven't bought anything yet. I've heard of a lot of inconsistencies with QC although the two Tokina lenses I've owned have been very good.

I'm going to hold out and see what happens with Nikon's Christmas rebates this year. The 12-24DX has never had a rebate that I have seen, but it's been out awhile and maybe now's the time. I've waited this long, I can wait another month or so...