Looking for a portrait lens.

wayne_crider4

I'm interested in adding a fixed portrait lens to my N80 kit, the AI(s) lenses

don't meter so Af might be the only way to go. In comparing the 85mm version

does anyone have pictures showing bokeh differences; I will be using the lens

for landscapes as well. I wouldn't mind going up to a 180mm lens, but then I am

apprehensive about the FL for portraiture, especially indoors.

Hello Wayne,

While I don't have either Nikon 85mm lenses I too have longed for one for quite some time. Based on all my investigations the 85mm f1.4 wins in the Bokeh race fairly solidly. That said the 85mm f1.8 is not too bad, and will save you quite a lot of money. If you can afford the f1.4 and don't mind the extra weight you would end up with one of the legendary Nikon lenses.

As for the 180mm lens. I have the newer version of the AF 180, and find the boken quite nice. I'll try and submit an example photo. Unless you are styling in a mansion this focal length will be difficult to use indoors, but is excellent outdoors and is a bargin for the image quality. The picture I will upload doesn't do the lens justice due to the poor lighting, but 180's are razor sharp.

Hope this helps,

Justin<div>00GdE0-30101584.jpg.354cdcd1f9d9930bf540d499b3d6c76b.jpg</div>

Wayne the 85mm F1.4 is a great lens but it might be less money to get a used F90 or the like and a 105mmF2.5 AIS. The AFD 85mmF1.4 is quite expensive and hard to get used at still a high price. Even the AIS 85mm F1.4 might come "relatively" cheap (also excellent) and cheaper than the AFD version even if you add a used body. Now the 180mm is nice in all its AF versions and comes relatively affordable in AF but it is a different story in terms of focal length. Make up your mind what you want and get the 105AIS with a body that supports it ^^. The 85AFDF1.8 is a good small lens , still fast enough for portrait and the bokeh is ok as long as you never used the 1.4 ^^

Have fun.

Walter

I have the 85mm f/1.8D AF, and I *love* it. It's excellently-balanced on my D70 -- just a touch heavier than the kit lens, but still very manageable with smooth focusing and a solid build.

The bokeh is great, though pitting anything against the f/1.4 version is pretty unfair. At f/2.5-3, though, the economical version holds its own against the most expensive pro zooms, and still lets you go shoot wide-open for the handheld indoor candids I love.

Wayne -

I am a professional headshot and portraiture photographer, and can tell you that there is no finer portrait lens in the Nikkor line-up than the AF 85mm 1.4D. Yes, it's a relatively old design; no, no it doesn't have af-s or VR; and yes it is pricey and hard to find these days; but all of these things are offset by the rich bokeh, razor sharp depth of focus elements, rock solid construction, and perfect focal length (not too flattening). I absolutely worship this lens. It balances perfectly on my F5s and gives me beautiful results every time. The only other lens that comes close IMHO is the AF 105 F2D DC, which is about the same price.

Rob

Hi, Wayne Crider,

I have them both. with N80 I use Nikon 85mm f/1.8 and with F100 and F6 I use f/1.4 version.

The 85mm F/1.8 version is more than exlent lens and you can have it used in around $275 nearly, with your N80 you will like it very much and will have great photos with it.

I never like the weight of 85mm f/1.4 in my lovely N80.

However you may rent or try Nikon 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 85mm f/1.4, Nikon 105mm f/2 DC or even Nikon 135mm f.2 DC and decide according to their angle of view/weight and price which one of them will suite/cover your needs.

What ever you choose I hope you happy shooting

Mohamed Alam Eldin

I have had both the 1.8 and the 1.4 85mm and tested them side by side.

Both are really excellent lenses, with the 1.8 being (just) a little soft at 1.8 and 2, but as

good as the 1.4 at smaller aperture. The 1.4 lens is truly a great lens. If you have the

money get the 1.4, if not the 1.8 lens is remarkable value and would suit your camera

really well. Honestly, I don't know what all this bokeh business is about; I have been a pro

portrait photographer for 18 years, and both lenses look about the same to me - call me

ignorant if you like.

Don't agonise, just buy either and you'll be happy.

David

For the price of the 85mm 1.4 you could buy an 85 1.8 and a 35mm AFD 2.0. Use the 35mm for environmental portraits which can be quite interesting and dramatic. I don't believe you will lose much of anything by going with the 1.8 85mm -- it's a darn fine lens.