How does one remove tripod head bushing?

clarence_l

Hello,

I recently acquired a manfrotto/bogen 168 head. Unfortunately it has a

1/4 bushing stuck in its socket, so I can't attach it to the 3/8

thread on my manfrotto/bogen 3021/055.

Could anyone advise me on how I can go about removing the bushing

without destroying either my (tripod's) head or my (tripod's) legs?

Thank you.

Usually the standard 1/4-3/8 inch bushings have a slot where you can engage a screwdriver and simply unscrew it.

If that is not the case with yours, and you are *absolutely positively certain* it is a bushing rather than a 1/4 inch threaded socket, then take the head to a hardware store and ask them to help you find an appropriately-sized screw extractor.

You may need to carefully drill into the 1/4 inch bushing so that you can use the extractor effectively. Measure the hole depth and put a piece of tape to mark the drill bit so that you don't drill too far.

If the bushing was glued or lock-tited in, you may need to apply heat with a propane torch.

Insert legal disclaimer here - I am not responsible for any damage to you, your equipment, or other persons if you choose to attempt to perform this procedure.

Happy you found the slot end Clarence. I once had a project where the bushing went in the non slot screw face way and more of a greater challenge. I solved it by carefully cutting a slot notch with a Dremel carbide edged cutting tool in the edges of the bushing. It worked, and I am no machinist. I do not recommend that approach if there is a workable Craftsman screw remover gizmo,-just sharing, as a contribution to the stuck- bushing topic.

If there were no slots for a screwdriver or if the slots were damaged, an ordinary screw extractor would work. These look like thick wood screws with a square head, in which the spiral is counterclockwise. Tap them into the hole (or internal threads) and turn counterclockwise to extract the bushing - the harder they turn, the tighter they grip. (to extract a broken screw, first drill a hole in the screw.)

You can get them at Sears or any hardware store. They would obviate the need to cut slots in the bushing, which is likely to damage the head as well.

Loc-Tite breaks down easily with heat. A propane torch would be overkill - a soldering iron would put the heat where you want it, especially with a spot of solder to conduct the heat.