offers (slightly biased) but basically impartial advice about the

exhibitors. This seems to work very well, the hosts work on my behalf

to sell my particular style and match me up with people who are

looking for what I offer. Each month they email me a list of the

contact details of the brides who have been through and expressed an

interest in my stand and in me. I follow these leads up with a phone

call and often end up chatting to lovely poeple, we seem to be on the

same wavelength and it's all good.

Which brings me to my question (slowly, I know)...

I don't seem to convert many of these calls into consultations and

therefore bookings. What am I doing wrong? Is phoning the best way

to follow these up?

If I phone and they're not there, should I leave a message? And if I

do should I call them again or leave it up to them?

And if they ask me to send something, what should I send?

I have groped around in the dark and tried a few different approaches

but I'm not happy. I tried a mailout to everyone and got no response

so then I switched to phoning. If asked to send mail I've sent info

about pricing etc but really feel that they won't make the final

decision based on price so why make it the focus of the mailer?

I'm thinking that they pick me based on personality and images so how

to convey that in the contact I have with them? And does the lack of

follow-through on the phone calls mean that they don't like my

personality? (sob!)

This costs me quite a lot and I have booked one wedding as a direct

result. Given that these are qualified leads I'm buying I think I

should be able to do better.

Please help!

Nicole - First principle is that I have no idea what I'm talking about and have no credentials to back this up.

second principle is that (I'm guessing) your website is your connection to the world. it is the first place that clients will look, and the first - and probably only - opportunity to show them that YOU can provide what THEY want, not what you want to show them.

Your website sounds like it was built for photographers, not for clients. What client cares about 2.8 lenses? DX what? Who cares about nikon equipment? If you are shooting as well as you do, your clients should know that YOU are the professional, and that YOU get the gear that YOU need to do the job, so THEY don't worry about it. Am I making myself clear?

Take off all of the pro-Nikon stuff from your website. Maybe put a small line 'Nicola uses professional Nikon SLR equipment' or somethign like that. For the most part, however, your clients want to see IMAGES.

Have a splash screen. Make it REALLY easy to find a gallery. Take away that picture of you, or put it on another page. Yes, you are beautiful, but you are not in a bridal gown. Consider redoing the colors - muted tones seem to be cool here in the US.

I know that I'm not perfect, but take a look at my site:

http://www.genuineimagephotography.com

I have two images right from the start, and then I invite the potential customer to immediately look at a gallery. It's not perfect, I know, but it's more inviting IMHO than your front page.

Conrad

I wouldn't call these "leads" qualified. It's too easy for the potential client to walk through the place and express an interest in any of the vendors the sales person may mention, especially if pressed by the sales person. It costs them nothing in money, time or future effort, but it costs you something. The only person making any money is the wedding fair owner.

Given the circumstances, I would think that a personal phone call would be the only way to close any sales from these leads. Anything else would be too impersonal and not give you the chance to truly qualify the prospect. Unfortunately, it's too easy these days for prospects to "not be at home" and never call back. I don't think it has anything to do with your personality. I just think there isn't much commitment on the prospect's part to begin with.

The only other thing I can think of is to prepare a short presentation on CD and mail it to them--a "wow" kind of show that might get people to contact you if they make the effort to put it into their CD player--you know--the kind with emotional music and your best images. That way, you don't have to waste time trying to call, and if your images grabs the prospect, they will call you. If you really wanted to raise the chances of them putting the CD in the player, offer a small "cents off" deal if they view the CD and respond.

Hi Nicola, I checked out your website and have to say that Conrad gave you great advice. It really reads like a testimonial and an endorsement for Nikon.

I viewed your weddings and thought, yeah! you have some really great and fun images. If I were you I would do what Conrad has suggested.

In "closing the deal" I have found that it is best if you can get them to commit to a consultation before you hang up. Have you offered a price incentive if they meet with you and book within a reasonable amount of time, and a price incentive if they book with you via this fair. Kind of like an "Act now" offer. I have no doubt once they meet with you, you will sell them, you seem to have a winning personality and some fun and interesting images. Make your web site more inviting to prospective clients.

I wonder if by you calling them it makes you seem like a salesperson (which- I know- we are all that), but I hate to get calls from sales people. Once I signed up for info on Pictage and he kept calling and calling and calling, but I was never in the mood to discuss it so I never answered or called back. He continues to call- but now I'm just annoyed. Are you in a contract with these "leads" people? Couldn't they just keep some of your handouts in the office and give them to people?

I would agree that if the fair could give handouts that would be good. Mailing out cds would add to your expense of course but good idea. Personally, I have many times signed up for things when sucked in by a sales person. Never once have I followed up with whatever I signed up as being interested in. Maybe they think the sales people are connected with you, which I guess in a way they are. I would think a fair at which they meet YOU in person rather than the fair staff would do better. I also am famous for screening my calls with caller id! For many people a phone call may be too pushy. I think if they have your contact info and your website, the rest is up to them.

also have to agree that your photos need to be seen easier. If I hadn't felt like trying, I easily would have moved to the next on my list as it doesn't say anywhere on your home page, "view photos" or such. I almost didn't click on the recent events because it said I may need a password leading me to believe those pages were for clients only.

I think this is a very difficult topic and everyone will have their own approach and you need to find one that is comfortable and works for you. When I got a lead I used to send a packet of information, but found I was spending too much money with this approach for the results I was getting. Now when I get a lead I send them an email with an introduction about me and my philosophy along with my package information and then ask if they would be interested in setting up a consultation. If they are interested, I have found they will call and set up an appointment (and sometimes book right on the spot). I have tried adding a follow up phone call but usually I get an answering machine and no return phone call. I've also tried following up with email with about the same results. Sales is difficult and I agree with Stacy you don't want to be the pushy salesperson...plus I think it makes you seem desperate. If they like your work, you are within their budget and they like your packages they will get in touch with you.

I also agree with Conrad about your web site. You want to "WOW" them with a really strong image(s) on your home page so they want to look at more of your work. Pick out your best images, make some galleries and look at other photographers web sites for inspiration.

I think many people equate "sales" with "being pushy." Sales and selling does not have to be negative. It can be Persuasive, Engaging, Inspiring, etc. Intelligent, Creative, Thoughtful people can create sales that does not use the typical cliche tactics. If you really have something to sell including your passion for your work then call people and talk from the heart, and be honest and if you engage them they will call you back and write interesting emails and if you connect with them they will email you back too. Sales does not have to be negative.

Nichole,

I agree with the others that you need to re-do your web site for all of the reasons they mentioned. A simple site that emphasizes your pix might work well for you. There seems to be a trend, at least here in the States, to have very fancy flash sites with music, etc.. I don't know if that's necessary. As to the phone calls, I'm impressed that you get to chat with that many potential clients. As others have commented, here in the States, at least, phone marketers are considered a pain and many people (my own daughter included) filter every single call through an answering machine or voice mail.

Like you, I get a leads list, and I also have had very poor results in trying to follow up via phone. They list their phone number which they don't have to do, so one would think they won't object to phone calls, but my success rate is non existent. I discussed it with my leads source, and she made the comment that I need to think in terms of what might be driving brides at any one time--that they tend to think in linear terms when it comes to everything they are looking at, and if this week it's gowns, then they aren't interested in talking to photographers. That thought would suggest that we need to keep in contact without being a pest. When they are ready to talk, then they will talk. When I make phone calls, I leave a message with my phone number and I don't call again. That same bride will have gotten at least one post card and an email from me; If they aren't interested, then there isn't much more I can do without being obnoxious.

I would have to agree with what everybody above has said, about your website, and maybe add a few thoughts. Like others have said, nix the photo of you on the front page (maybe put it on the 'about us' page, put a few money shots =) on the first page, change the colors, and I'd also make the watermarks a <b>lot</b> smaller. I found it really hard to see a lot of the photos because of the big watermark, plus, it's kind of distracting. I find something in the corner, at about 50% opacity does the trick.<p>

I also think using a blog-type template might not be the way to go, for your professional site. Do you have any friends who do web design? I think a professional site is key if you're a photographer, and with brides in this day and age, it's usually one of the first things they see before they even meet with you (at least that's true for me). And in this industry, I hate to say, image is everything.

<p>

As far as the pre-qualifying goes, I'd email everybody on your list (and if email isn't on the list, I'd ask for the company you're working with to change that). I recently did a bridal fair, and after the fair, got an email list, and wrote an email (blind copying everyone) with a basic email introducing myself and inviting the brides to check out my site. I actually didnt' think I'd get any bites (I'm not a big believer in cold-calling/emailing), but I've had five brides write back and I'm meeting with them in the next week, based solely on my website and the work posted there.

<p>

I think brides appreciate an email (rather than a call), because it's something they can get to when they have the time (I hate getting cold sales calls too), and they can browse my site and see what I'm about in their own time, and then if they like what they see, they call me. That way you <b><i>know</b></i> they like you and your work, before you even have to speak with them. Sending packages gets expensive, and email is free.

<p>

If you don't have a friend who does web design, I'd defenitely think about either learning some basic html and/or getting one of those photography site templates that a lot of people on this site use. I hope this doesn't seem too negative, I'm really trying to be helpful, and constructive.

Thank you so much for all your ideas and suggestions.

I have been meaning to get round to the website for some time and of course you are all right...it does need some serious overhauling.

I had a chat to the bridal fair people today and they suggested calling with a freebie or discount. I'm thinking free engagement portrait sitting when they book might work? What do you think?

Back to your original question Nicola, regarding these "qualified" leads. I'm not sure how "qualified" they are, but hey, leads are leads. Your closing rate seems a little low.

<p>

Firstly, read what Jaimie Blue had to say a few times. Seriously. Maybe four or five times.

<p>

Secondly, what Stacy said: we are sales people too. Additionally she said she does not like calls from sales people. Well, I think none of us like calls from bad or pushy sales people. The good sales people are the ones that engage us (the customers) in conversation, trouble shoot with us, genuinely listen, answer our questions, introduce us to the stuff we need -- and does not PUSH us into a decision. Bad salesperson. BAD!

<p>

You should have some sort of sales and marketing skillset to be successfull in business.

<p>

Dale Carnegie's <i>How To Win Friends and Influence People</i> is an old book and a timeless classic for a reason. After you've finished reading Jaimie's comments a few times, get this book and read it a few times. It's in every successful salesperson's library.

<p>

After, and only after, you've read Dale Carnegie, I recommend a modern take on this book. <i>The Golden Rule of Schmoozing: The Authentic Practice of Treating Others Well</i> by Aye Jaye. I personally have the audio book of this title, read by Penn Jillette -- half of the Penn & Teller team. It's very entertaining for an audio book.

<p>

After that, check back with us, and we'll lead you to some books about sealing the deal.

I love Dale Carnegie, it changed my life. Seriously, I read the book, did the course, memorised large chunks of the book and I live it. I listen well, I strike up a rapport, they smile, I smile (I can hear it in their voice) and then nothing much happens. Gimme the books on closing!!! I'm ready :-)