Lens cleaner

markok765

A good lens cleaner should not harm the coating. However, much depends on how you clean the lens -- what material you use, how hard and how often.

Never heard of herneys but I must have tried about a dozen other lens cleaners. IMX the best cleaner is Formula MC, followed by ClearSight, Eclipse, Zeiss and Kodak lens cleaners. The much-touted ROR (Residual Oil Remover) clears oily gunk well (something you should never have) but is prone to streaking. Most other brands I tried are prone to streaking including those normally stocked by electronics supermarkets.

Hoya HMC/SHMC filters seem to have a coating that encourages streaking. B+W MRC filters are remarkable performers in terms of streak/smudge resistance.

There must be as many suggested cleaning methods as there are cleaners. For me what works best is blowing away loose dust using a hand blower followed by light wiping with a pec-pad and one of the good lens cleaners above. Then I buff up lightly with a Microfiber cloth. The Zeiss and Schneider microfiber cloths are amongh the best you can get, but most are pretty good. The ClearSight cloth gives of lint for some reason.

Using any lens cleaner on "multi coated" filters is asking for trouble. It creates those "rainbow swirls", which are impossible to remove. The average person will then rub off the lens' coating atempting to remove them. So it is the tissue, not the liquid cleaner that removes coatings.