Custom functions...here's what it said to do on one site:<br>

1) hold down 'set' button and switch camera to 'p'<br>

2) change numbers in lcd with 'mode' and 'set' buttons to read '01 1

01'<br>

3) depress shutter release button half way<br><br>

well, i did that...and the flash still wants to fire. what am i doing

wrong?<br><br>

thanks!

I do not own a 35ti but from what I have read on this and other photo sites the flash firing issue is a major source of irritation with that camera. My understanding is it can be programmed out but the camera resets itself if you shut it off. This is 2nd hand info on my part so actual facts may be otherwise. For a manual try "nikonians.org."

I posted a custom function table gif at the end of the thread below. I set the custom function to "flash always off" because 90% of my photography is without flash. When I need the flash I hold down the button until the flash ready light is on. There is an online manual for the 35Ti somewhere out there, but I don't remember the URL for it right now. It's a super nice camera.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DnM4

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

I found an online "guide" with a custom function table...but how do you enable the custom function? Did you read my post? The procedure that I followed (which I found on the internet) is not working. The flash still goes off.

What's the procedure for enabling a custom function?

Thanks!

Nevermind...I figured it out. This time, I set all the settings to the end until I got the blinking "04 0 00"...and THEN I depressed the shutter halfway. That did the trick.

One annoying thing is that my viewfinder illumination goes dark when I turn the flash off. That stinks!

Also...I have found that my recently acquired 35ti's analog display is slightly messed up...when I set the self timer, the analog needle seems to point in the wrong direction. I hope I don't find anything else wrong with this camera!

Thanks!

• 4 years later...

<p>There is an obscure loose leaf addendum to the 35ti manual -- BEWARE!<br>

After setting your desired custom function settings (including specifying for "01 1 01" for the no auto-flash option), make *sure* the initial setting of "00 0 01" is set or specified. Otherwise (as in the case of having "00 0 00" unwittingly specified), all other custom values or entries you have taken great pains to customized will be *DISREGARDED* or *IGNORED* by the camera system; in such a case, factory default settings will be used (ie Auto Flash is ON).<br>

Quoting the loose leaf addendum verbatim:<br>

* Temporary custom setting cancellation (00 0 00) - Set the custom function number to 00 0 00 and lightly press the shutter release button to temporarily cancel the custom setting and reset the function to its initial setting.<br>

* Reactivate custom settings (00 0 01) - Temporarily cancelled custom settings can be reactivated by setting the custom function number to 00 0 01 and lightly pressing the shutter release button.<br>

Having discovered this critical step, I have been able to use the Custom Functions with confidence. Hope this helps other 35 ti owners who may have been driven beserk by a seemingly unresponsive camera.</p>

• 4 weeks later...