ef 70-200 f/2.8 IS w/2x converter vs. ef 100-400 f/4.5/5.6

disneyry

Ryan, regardless of performance issues (the 100-400 is better), would you really want to invest more and carry much more? sometimes you don't need the best perceivable performance (we'd all be carrying primes then). I'm not a TC-guy, but some-times it's a sensible solution.

Ryan I have both. I bought the 70-200IS first and then the 100-400L. Hands down I would choose the 70-200is over the 100-400. BUT, if you are only interested in the long end, the 100-400 is sharper at 280mm (70-200+1.4tc) and way sharper at 400mm (70-200+2xtc). Either way you con't go wrong. Both are great lenses and if you are comparing them to a hyper zoom or cheaper lens, eithier combo would be better.

I just got back from Puerto Vallarta where last year I took some shots of my wife swimming with the dolphins with a Tamron 28-300 XRDI, and this year took shots of a friend doing the same from the exact same location (20-40 yards away) with the 100-400L, what a differnce. Its the difference between making out the faces at that distance and making out the eye colors.

Mark