and discovered that foam pads inside the camera and UNDERNEATH the

mirror were rotting away due to age --- so the mirror was slipping in

position. Getting the foam replaced and getting a new screen (the old

one is too dim) is going to cost $400.00. A good used Hasse body like

mine costs $600.00 or so (body only) so this is significant.<p>

If you are shopping for a Hasse, look for little chunks of blackish or

grey foam inside the camera --- that is the bad sign that the foam

inside the camera is falling apart. Realize that replacing the foam

inside the camera nad under the mirror will cost you $200.00 or more.

Stefan, I posted a response on this issue a couple of months ago. I had all the foam replaced and new screens installed in both of my 500CM bodies by Bill Maxwell at Maxwell Precision Optics, Decatur, GA. He checked the focus and gave the bodies a good CLA, all for much less than the $400 you mentioned. Also, his screens are superior to the Hasselblad AcuteMatte screens and cost less. I don't have his address with me at the moment, but I'll post it tomorrow.

Well, Stefan, looks like I got caught with my foot in my mouth because I had not read your response to the thread on Pentacon screens. But I have to say that I'm surprised it cost that much. I paid Maxwell $360 to replace the foam, CLA, and install his most expensive screen.

The cost was actually $387.00. Maybe this maintenence is more expensive on the 500c than the 500cm. I opted to have some lines engraved on the screen at extra charge.<p>

In my $400.00 price, I included the cost of shipping the camera to and from Georgia.<p>

Costs may vary; I went with Maxwell because his reputation is good and everyone who uses his screens swears by them. I found someone willing to sell me a USED Acute-Matte screen for $160.00 (I would still need foam replacement and installation) so the cost is very competitive.

Stefan, it probably is more expensive with a 500C, because the screen has to be carefully installed by a skilled technician, while the 500CM screen simply drops into place. I got the grid screen with a microprism collar surrounding a split image in one camera, and a plain groundglass with 8x10 vertical and horizontal crop marks in the other. I feel Maxwell's work was well worth the money, as I know you do also.

• 11 years later...
<p>I took a close look at my 500cm body and saw no mirror pad, the mirror rests on two metal protrusions inside the body. There is a pad at the top of the body, that the mirror hits when the shutter is released.</p>