Linhof Lenses

lerner_clay

Hi, I am looking to buy a Linhof Technika IV or V and I heard that the older Schneider

lenses that usually come with these cameras are not coated properly (or perhaps the

coating doesn?t last) and therefore do not properly render colors. I?m not very familiar

with Linhof/Schneider nomenclature and I realize this is a very vague question but any

help/thoughts would be great appreciated. Thanks!

Lerner this is a matter of "horses for courses"

Two years ago I jumped into LF and bought a nice Linhof Technika V and adore it. So I'm happy to share some tips most of which I have learned here. There are some wonderful members here who are willing to share their huge knowledge.

Like Thomas said these early "non-multi coated" German lenses are still great today despite simple single coating. I have one early Schneider 135mm f5.6 - great in B&W and good in colour with a hood etc. So for shooting in B&W these are great value for money.

I'd strongly suggest you opt for a Technika V rather than the IV - you'll get a nice one for good value and not much more than the IV - nothing bad about the IV, just the V has a bit more movement flexibility and a better rise mechanical function (can't recall the full technical differences; but I did read a detailed technical comparision among the III, IV and V which made me get patient and seek out a V.

The Linhof is a true German engineering masterpiece and a life-long investment with very capable front standard and back movements that exceed my needs for architecture, landscapes and portraits. WOW, the joy of first setting it up in a filed and looking at the ground glass as you move the back about - it blew me away!

When seeking out lenses keep in mind faster f stops enable easier / bright focusing but can mean bigger and heavier glass although often not being a real disadvantage.

When selecting focal lengths space them out based on what you plan to shoot with it. Don't just duplicate say your 35mm kit favourite focal lengths (based on the conversion factor).

I was lucky to have mine come with Horesman 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12 roll film backs in mint condition so get much enjoyment from roll film too (and the corresponding angle of view differences each format makes).

Read through the threads here for nomenclature and lens choice ideas - take a few days to do that then fire away with questions.

In more modern multi-coated lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock you'll find great value for money in the pre-green earth glass multi-coated lenses like Schneider's Symmar-S MC lenses - great performers at great prices in excellent order. You'll need to become familliar with shutter nomenclature too.

Ther are some good books on how to use the cameras and the focusing techniques involved too. There are also some good web sites, so just do some searches.

I found getting into LF taught me more than I ever knew about photography and is one of the great joys in shooting.

Good luck.

There actually weren't any "Linhof lenses," there were "Linhof select" lenses. These were lenses made by other manufacturers (usually, maybe always, Schneider)that Linhof selected from the factory line based on the lens having closer tolerances than the manufacturers' usual factory tolerances. That probably had some significance when the lenses were new and were matched to a particular camera but by now most are no longer with the original camera and even if they are, their original factory tolerances 30 or 40 years ago probably are meaningless today. Nebvertheless, Linhof select lenses sometimes sell at a small (5%-10%)premium in the used market.

I'm not aware of any problem with the coatings of Linhof select lenses or the same lens without the Linhof name. What you perhaps heard is that a particular lens may be uncoated or single coated rather than multicoated. Obviously an uncoated lens or single coated lens will be very old since multicoating has been around for a long time. So age alone might be a problem, more so with the shutter than the lens itself, but I don't remember hearing of any inherent coating problem with these lenses. In my experience, mainly with b&w film, there's little difference between single and multi coating. There's a bigger difference between uncoated and single coated. With uncoated lenses the contrast is usually less and you have to be more careful with flare.

The only noticeable difference between the IV and V Technikas is the location of the front rise mechanism. On the IV the mechanism was a knob located on the side of the front standard. When the standard was close the the rear housing and the bellows was scrunched up next to it, as is the situation when using a short focal length lens, the knob was inconvenient to use. On the V the knob was replaced by a lever that sticks out from the front standard, making it more convenient to use with a wide angle lens. There may have been some internal mechanical differences between the two models but if so you wouldn't know of them just by using the cameras. There's no difference in the specs of the two models or in their use except for the location of the front rise mechanism.

Lerner, lens coating has nothing to do with color rendering. It's only function is to decrease reflections of unwanted light. There is no problem with the coating of Schneider lenses sold with Technika 4 or 5. Any lens, however, can have the coating damaged by improper use.

"Actually, there were Linhof lenses, not just Linhof-select. The Linhof 220 has a "Linhof" brand lens, which was produced by Rodenstock. I believe there were other Linhof brand lenses as well, most if not all of them were produced by Rodenstock, presumably to Linhof specifications"

Thanks, I guess I should have used more precise language. The point I was trying to make was that Linhof didn't make its own lenses, it put its name on lenses made by others.

While I'm at it, I should correct my statement to the effect that single coated lenses were necessarily very old. I forgot that G Claron lenses, which were made as recently as 3 or 4 years ago, were single coated.

Lerner,

the "older" lenses should be fine,( these would be lens of 60's-70's vintage). what you should

look at after you determine the glass is clear and there is no separation of the cementing .....

then you should check the shutter. If it is sluggish the first cold weather will bring it to a

stop. A CLA on a shutter is not inexpensive!