Yet another wedding album question.....

demosthenes

First, Hello, I am new here. I have been going over posts in this section for

a few hours now and still haven't found exactly what I am looking for (and

have found other things that confuse me a bit.)

So, on that note, time to ask...

My cousin got married in Malaysia and has a really neat wedding "album". The

front is wooden and it appears that all the images inside are printed directly

on the pages. The thing is though, the pages are really really thick, kind of

like the cardboard pages of a children's book (or similar in thickness to a

firm dinner table place mat.)

First question: what would be the correct nomenclature for this book ? I

have seen the terms "flushmount," "magazine," "coffee table," "art style"

and probably a few others. Do these refer to both the thickness of the pages

as well as the style of printing ?

Any recommendations as to where to purchase such an album ?

Lastly, I am a budding picture taker (nowhere near talented enough to use the

term "photographer" in reference to myself) so I don't have any studio tie

ins. Is it possible for a non-professional to do the layouts and have the

album printed and bound ?

Thanks in advance for any replies and my apologies if these questions have

been asked and answered hundreds of times elsewhere.

In the UK they are called coffee table books and they are the only albums I offer. I use a company called Sim 2000 (www.sim2000imaging.com) and they work out at about 349+vat UKP for a 44 page coffee table book printed on photographic paper. You can design the layout yourself in PS (it's easy as it's 300mm square) or have them do it for an extra 60. Hardback cover, very, very high level print quality, minimalist look, but a 6 week turnaround. All in, I prefer them to trad albums.

Hello Dave,

Over here in the Netherlands, the kind of albums you refere to are called 'fotoboeken'(PhotoBooks). My photolab who does all my printing, also produces these "Photobooks". They come in different sizes from 8x8(parentbooks) up to 16x16. The thickness of the pages are approximately 1mm(mayby 1,5mm). For an average 16x16 book for example, I make 20 layouts 16x32(left&right handpage), and upload the files to my photolab. They then print the 20 files on Kodak Endura Professional matte papers. Next they fold all the 20 prints in the middle, and then they glue the backs against eachother, with some sort of glueplates in between them. This is all done under high pressure and a temperture of 194 degrees. After this process they let the book cool off for 24 hours but still under pressure. Afterwards they cut the sides nicely and send it off to their bookbindery. Covers come in many different materials, skai, linnen, leather, wood, glass, aluminium...they even bind the books with the material of brides dress, if desired so...The whole process from sending them my files till the actual delivery takes about 2 to 3 weeks.

All my b&g's seem to want this type of album. As a matter of fact, I just finished and delivered my last 'mounted' album. I now offer just this one type of album.

It isn't cheap though, and only pro's can order this type of album. They don't deliver to 'consumer' cliënts.<div>00HiYk-31843584.jpg.2a69007d41da6a172b24d0ceb61faac7.jpg</div>

Jur, Dave, and Ken,

Thanks for the replies. I followed links in other threads adn have seen Zook Books, Art Leather, and some others.

All of them seem to have similar offerings which is a hard bound book, but the pictures are on slightly heavier paper.

My cousin's book is just a bit different. Each individual leaf (page) of the book is about 2 or 3/16ths thick. It's similar to the pages of a baby books from long ago where the pages are thick cardboard that won't get damaged if a baby tries to stick it in his/her mouth.

A book of 15 leaves is somewhere near 3 inches thick not counting the front or back hard covers.

Finding a book with similar sized really thick cardboard pages is what I am having trouble with. Some of the sites mentioned here and in other threads might offer them, but I don't even know what to call it when looking aside form (thick cardboard pages.)

Any ideas ?

• 3 months later...