B&W, Gamma 2.2 and Dot gain 20%

I am using the ImagePrint 6.0 RIP and I am curious about what is the best space

to work in for B&W. I scan all of my negatives (b&w negs) and have generally

converted the space to Gamma 2.2, but I see others are using Dot gain of 20%.

What is the difference? I keep all of my editing at 16 bits and use CS2.

Thanks in advance for the clarification and suggestions.

David

Dot Gain is a factor used in offset printing to describe how ink diffuses from a point. It's "smear", kindasortof.

Gamma is not the same.

You need to establish settings for your printer, and for the format in which you will be archiving your images (to anticipate improvements in the technology.) So, what printer are you using?

They both are popular grayscale color spaces and neither seems to be dominant. There are minor differences toward the darker end of the scale. Either will work well, just be consistent.

I've tried both years ago and settled on just using GG2.2 a long time ago. But that doesn't mean anything since others settled on DG20%

This couldn't be more true. Grayspaces basically alter the interpretation of the mid-tones. Just like color profiles, it is important to save the grayspace with the image if you want others on different systems to see it as you made it. Unfortunately, there is no way to be sure that viewers over the internet are seeing the image the way you intended because monitor gammas can vary quite a bit regardless of whether they are color calibrated or not.

I chose to work in G2.2 based on the density from my printer.