michaelmarcus

I used the new D70s once about a week and a half ago. Today when I

attempted to take pictures the viewfinder showed either: a dark

exposure, a 3/4 dark exposure, a poor exposure or, in one out of

every 4 or 5 cases, a proper exposure. The battery indicator was

solid black. I pressed the DOF button several times. No change. I

pressed the reset button. No change. Now I am charging the battery

anyway, and hoping that's the source of the problem. But the

battery indicator was solid black! Anyone know what gives? Thanks.

It sounds like something might be interfering with the shutter release mechanism. Possibly debris, oxidation or loose contacts. A drop of sweat in the area around the shutter release button might do this. It could go completely unnoticed for a while. I once had to disassemble and clean a Canonet GIII QL17 after a little bit of Coke dribbled off my lips onto the shutter release button.

You might try using a squeeze bulb blower around the shutter release button. Or *carefully* vacuuming with a low power vacuum (not an Oreck bowling ball lifter) - don't wanna suck parts right off the camera. And don't squirt any kind of electronics contact cleaner in there - it might lead to worse problems and more expensive repairs.

I wouldn't continue to mash buttons too hard. It might cause further damage. Might be best to send it in for servicing.

I have been routinely picking the camera up every once a while and firing off a few random shots to see if it works properly, and out of a dozen or so times only one, the first exposure, was poor. Maybe it is a shutter issue, thank you Lex. And actually, I don't really have to press on the release button all that hard. Is there perhaps something about the AE-L AF-L functions or shutter speed settings that I don't know how or what to do yet? I was very very impressed with Nikon Tech --- the phone was answered on the first ring, but the person I spoke with was utterly clueless about the problem I was reporting! Thanks again all, if this persists I certainly will send the camera in.

I can't think of any other explanations for the exposure problems. However one other possible explanation for the camera occasionally seeming reluctant to take a photo could be the focus mode. If it's set to focus priority it won't take a photo until it's satisfied that the subject is in focus.

I often have to change my D2H from focus priority to release priority in AF-S mode because I usually recompose a little after focusing on the main subject.