EOS 5D: Is this genuine?!

chris_wick

I'd be careful and check out the company a bit more before proceeding too far. I "bought" a

camera online at a price from Walmart that seemed too good to be true. Put in my credit card

details, turned out it was a fake site and I had to cancel my credit card etc. the site even sent

me emails and stuff confirming my package was on its way. A real hassle. Maybe its true,

but there should be a customer service number or something to confirm.

They claim to be in the UK, yet the domain "wlcomweb.com" was registered 5 days ago with a Charlotte, NC (USA) address.<p>You've gotta love the charity angle:<br><i><a href="http://www.wlcomweb.com/about_us.html">"We are UK-based company which making wholesale supply for businesses and consumers since 1999.<p>Our main purpose to deliver high quality merchandise and support to our customers.<p>From 2005 we are providing wildlife protection operations. <b>Our strategic partners including Apple, Canon, Sony, Acer, Toshiba and others donating electronics to us. We are selling it and directing profits to various charities.</b>"</i></a><p>Legit? Could be. But not a nickel of my money is ever going to find out.<div>00DzPP-26234684.jpg.db6254ac04fa698b5fcc30167aa4b653.jpg</div>

"The above link appears to be offering Canon EOS 5D bodies for $1600"

First of all, not "appears to" but actually IS offering. Will you ever see anything if you send your money there ? Not bloody likely...

In other words - it is a genuine scam.

Whiling away a moment or two, I did a Google search on some of the testimonial text. Guess what? It seems to be lifted from this site: <a href="http://www.unityelectronics.com/file_include-file/testimonials">http://www.unityelectronics.com/file_include-file/testimonials</a>. Some judicious editing of initials and product details, but the rest is identical.

Sonny, you can use a "whois" ("who is ...") service on the Internet to lookup the details of who is the owner of a domain. Search for "whois" with Google and you'll probably find a number of sites from Internet service providers that have a whois service.

I thought I'd e-mail them for a laugh (hoho):

Hello Paul,

We ship to UK. No difference in the price.

Shipping is free anywhere in the world.

Orders for in-stock merchandise will ship within an 1 business day after your payment will be received.

Shipping usually takes 5 days guaranteed anywhere in the world.

We do not ship on Saturday, Sunday and UK holidays.

Federal Express (FedEx) is our primary carrier.

WLCom Web Support

Rita Miller

At 13:47 27.10.2005, you (Paul Marbs) wrote:

Could you ship one of these to the UK? What would be the cost?

Many thanks

I might ask if I can pick one up from them now.....