level)?

I don't know which one to go for (if I decide to buy one). I'm looking for one

that will be easy to strap to a bike frame (no sticky-oot bits), fairly light,

and compact. I'll probably have to buy it mail order. I suppose that a Gitzo

CF one is probably one of the best (or maybe a Linhof), but maybe a

Manfrotto/Bogen would be okay. Are the smaller ones really flimsy, and would

that make a difference for what I'm wanting to use it for? I suppose I'd need

one of those Manfrotto tilting adaptors that allow you to use the camera in

portrait orientation, or are there any alternatives?

Sorry about all the questions!

A monopod will make your camera steadier than hand holding, but for what you seem to intend to do, a cheap lightweight tripod, a mini-tripod or even a clamp for attaching the camera on any clampable object will certainly be more useful. I don't find the monopod worth carrying for use with short lenses although it is of course highly valuable for using heavy long lenses while keeping most of your mobility.

A monopod can help keep the camera steadier and help to frame relatively static shots. [i prefer to hand-hold for action shots with a 70-200 f/2.8 or smaller. I have a hard time keeping the horizon level when panning on a monopod -- could just be me.] You may be able to get a couple more stops in slow shutter speeds over hand holding.

I use an old, light-weight, inexpensive, Manfrotto monpod with a swivel head and a RRS lever release clamp. It works well.

Why not bolt the camera to the handlebars? A $10 compact ballhead (such as the littliest Giottos) and a 50 cent handlebar clamp with a thumbscrew is all you need. As a bonus, you'll be able to take pictures whilst riding. You can also take a little minipod-type tripod and move the ballhead/camera combo from your handlebar clamp to said minipod.

Or there's the old trick of wrapping a length of rope around the camera, then stepping on the other end to bring it into tension. It's good for maybe 1 stop, but you really can't get any lighter, cheaper, or more portable.

You might also want to consider a compact digicam with image stabilization.

I used to have a gadget that I think is still made by someone -- mine I think came from Linhof -- it's a C-clamp sort of affair with a fitting that unscrews and reverses and then can be screwed into a tree or post. Mine had a small ball head that was adequate for a 35mm camera. Prior to that a friend had a regular aluminum C-clamp that he had a 1/4-20 screw TIGwelded to it. Worked as good as mine but didn't have the screw in capability.The clamp should be adequate for use with the bike, however in any event I would also recommend one of the super-light plastic mini tripods. I have one in my digital kit. Just fasten the camera to it and hold it against a wall or post or other handy surface. When I hiked the Alaska outback I had a screw fitting in the top of my hiking staff that converted it into a monopod, but that might be clumsy to carry on a bike.

Manfrotto 679B Monopod ($40 B&H) plus Manfrotto ballhead ($30-200 B&H) of your choice.

Rated to hold 22 pounds, the 679B makes one hell of a walking stick (sans ballhead) and a mighty handy weapon to fend off street Rats (two or four legs).

Two pounds.

Allows up to two stops slower shutter speed (besides being a Rat killer).

Not that I'm any sort of stuntman or anything, but I've taken plenty of photos from the

back of a moving bicycle just by pointing and shooting. Ok, ok, so the Mju is autofocus

and I can steer without holding the handlebars (a mis-spent youth has its advantages) and

I can shoot the Mju one-handed by cupping it in my palm and clicking the shutter with my

thumb. On the other hand, a monopod could be used as a lance if anyone's bothering you,

so maybe it has other uses.

I think a lightweight monopod,with a tiny lever lock style ball head (optional) will be an asset to you in a lot of situations. I would carry mine strapped to the back rack,if you use a rack... I think you will be able to get down to 1/8 under those leafy tree canopies when you aim at a colorful tree fungus for instance...it won't add all that much to the weight and will later fit readily in a suitcase for air travel. (Maybe-brainstorming away- it can double as a tent fly prop,or other camping tool; who knows?).Framing the shot,definite aid to that part... Good investment,David. CF in Bogen or Manfrotto is correct. Will come in handy later on. Small cameras need even more stabilization than the MF ones IMO.

Thanks for all the responses! I had a look at the Manfrotto 714SH digi tripod yesterday. It was quite handy with having the ball head built-in, but a bit heavier and bulkier than I'd like. The collapsed overall length was fine, but the maximum raised height was limited. My local shop only had one monopod in stock, and that was a cheapo one with a video pan/tilt head. However, they also had one of those GorillaPod things. I couldn't try it because it was packaged in plastic, but I think I may buy it. It would let me wrap it around my handlebars and just about any other solid object. I think I'll also go for a monopod - just not sure which one yet. I quite liked the look of the Linhof one, but I've read some things that say they've been discontinued. I phoned Linhof here in the UK and they're trying to find out about it.

Ok: you will have to answer one question to yourself: will I be taking lots of night shots? Or very dark corner shots?

If not, why bother with a monopod or tripod.

I assume you do not use Efke 25 or lower ISO film, right? So a good 400 film and bracing your camera on the handle bar (bike stationary), a house corner, sign post etc will act as a monopod, will it not?

And for night shots with exposures in the seconds range you would need a tripod in free space. So why a monopod, other than to load that bicycle down in heavy wind?

In my experience you will be extremely fine with handholding Kodak 400UC or Kodak 400CN; and they are really fine films that only show grain when enlarged over 12 by 18. In which case you will need MF or LF and hook up a trailer to your bike ... for the tripods etc etcs

I think you're right, Frank! I'm just so used to using a heavy tripod with my large format camera and using small lens apertures with long exposures. I bought that GorillaPod today, but when I tried my camera on it, it just couldn't hold the camera unless it was placed centrally on a flat surface. I returned it to the shop.

I'm planning on taking slide film this time, so will be using 100-ISO film, which might limit things if/when the light is poor. I think a tripod would be more useful than a monopod - better for composing a picture, and it would allow longer shutter speeds and also let me take the odd self portrait!

I think I'm leaning to either not taking any support, or else splashing out on that Gitzo 1028 (even though it is very light and not that tall etc).

I'll be riding a fixed wheel bike (effectively a track bike) with no gears, so I'm very limited to what i can take with me - no panniers etc, and a load of weight/bulk would just spoil the trip from a riding point of view.

A cycle tour on a bike with one (1) speed? Really? Is this the downhill race from the top of Haleakala, Maui,and just one way :-()? I am joking naturally,but I would say you would be well to lighten to a Minox, get a buzz cut haircut, drill out everything including your belt buckle,and have a great sack wagon following you with water...

Seriously,David,what IS your cycle route, and can you manage with a single speed bike? (I am interested since I am turning soon to a decade when those electric motor retrofits start to become just a little bit interesting...recumbents and tricycles may be in the offing.) Forget everything I offered above,just lean on trees or follow Frank's suggestion and not worry about another photo item. Rocks and boulders work. Priorities you know...

Get back to us on the route- all flat turf, no hills at all?

Ha, ha, Gerry! Thanks for the laugh! It's also nice to hear from someone from somewhere soooo exotic - Honolulu!

Okay, so it's a bit off-topic, but here's some info on my bike...

Fixed wheel bikes seem to be making something of a comeback, at least, there's quite a bit of interest in them over here in the UK. My frame dates from the 1950's or 1960's and I've recently built it up again. It only has one gear, and no freewheel. This means that you can't not pedal! If you attempt to coast even for a split second, then the bike soon lets you know who's boss and will attempt (often successfully) to launch you over the handlebars! However, you seen get the hang of it, and learn not to stop pedalling. Downhills are actually the hardest because your legs are going round as fast as you're travelling - a cadence of 150rpm is not uncommon (some people aim for a magic 200rpm!) but it can be pretty scary. There's only a front brake on the bike, as legally the fixed-wheel is classed as a rear brake - you can slow down by taking some of the energy through your legs. I live in northern Scotland (near Nessie the Loch Ness Monster) and although the roads near me are fairly flat, I do cycle in the mountains too. I did a 90-mile hilly 'race' the other week that included the longest/highest climb in the UK. It was tough work with a 65" gear, and I was much slower than other people on the downhills. I'm planning on doing a couple of camping trips. The first will just be a one-nighter to see how I get on, and I'm planning to get the ferry over to the Outer Hebrides and cycle around the Isle of Harris, and will camp out in my bivvy bag on some secluded beach - that's the theory anyway - last time I went to the Outer Hebrides I spent two nights sleeping in a peat bog, which was pretty grim! The next trip (assuming all goes well with the first) will be to cycle around the coastal roads of the Highlands. I've wanted to do that for a while, and it will be tough, but should be nice. The hardest thing for me is getting the time off!

I've managed to trim my luggage down and get a method of hanging everything onto my bike. I've strapped a Thermarest mattress to my handlebars using two velcro ties. I have a smallish saddlebag supported on a titanium bracket. Between the bracket and the frame I've wedged my sleeping bag. Everything else; tools, bivvy bag, some spare clothes etc go in the saddlebag. My wee Rollei in its case, a Gossen lightmeter and a separate rangefinder goes in a side pocket. The bike actually rides very well, and the weight isn't really noticeable in terms of handling, although hills may be a different matter. It will be different from the last time I went with a different bike that had rack and panniers, barbag, 5-season sleeping bag (it was cold!) and a Hasselblad SWC and tripod etc.

Keep riding, Gerry. I think you should look into a recumbent trike - I had a wee ride on one, and it was good fun, and you obviously don't even have to put a foot down when you stop - quite relaxing once you get the hang of it, and improved aerodynamics mean you can really fly on the flat and downhills!

Thanks for the details, David.Whoo. I get exhausted just reading about your trip. But more power to you!..aloha,Gerry (Trek 930 hardtail,Rockshox Judy, "Thudbuster" seat post. Blackburn mountain rack w/ panniers,and even a sprung B66 leather seat for this guy. Ride for ever...)