Handheld Hasselblad or do I need a tripod?

hywel

I do alot of portraits with the H'blad and a Rolleiflex TLR. The Rollei can be used easily at 1/60th. The H'blad requires at least a stop more speed. What makes a difference is how steady you can position yourself and, if its a portrait, to try to steady the subject by coaching and positioning. The H'blad grip does help with a smooth release of the shutter. My 2 cents.

Sorry for the delay - the last few days have been busy.

I looked at the blad before I bought the Mamiya 645. Great camera, but the lenses are expensive. I opted for the Mamiya because a really nice used 150/3.5 was only $180 from KEH. And the 55/2.8 set me back just $225. I really love Zeiss glass (I own a Contax IIIa), but Mamiyas are being given away. And the lenses are excellent.

There are times, however, when I want a smaller camera and a relatively large negative (The Contax IIIa is really nice, but it is only 35mm). That's why i bought the Bronny - at a stunningly low price of $550 with 65mm lens new, not used. I just got it, though, and havn't really put it through the paces yet as I had to send it in for conversion from 135mm to 100mm frame lines.

Robert

Intellectually I like your approach, which is smart IMO. I bought my first 'blad in 1990 and to this day while I know they're great cameras I don't rememmber why I went this way and not another. It got expensive for me in those pre-web days, when gear was much more expensive than today. No comparison with todays prices whatsoever. So I shot for the next 10 years with various Leicas.....hmmm, I know I'm nuts now.

Plopping down a grand++ for a Hassie lens I justify as a cost of doing business never mind that I'm an accountant - anybody counting? Whats cuts me at the knees though is the expensive little stuff you've got to have, and it all adds up fast. Got to have the unique filters - UV, proxars, CC's, B/W, and otherwise. Not cheap. Got to have the various lens shades at $100+ too. It adds up. I'm into it for the duration, even though it hurts the pocket book sometimes. Fortunately my bar days are behind me and the only other big expense is my 2-year old I'm prepping for the Ivy League.

Best Regards - Paul

Yes, Paul, it does add up. And noe I'm looking at 4x5 - the tones from those big negs are amazing! So I'll need a nice enlarger - say an Omega D5XL. And a Shen Hoa and a few lenses.

I often remind my wife that at least I'm not buying a little red sports car and chasing women 1/2 my age. And I, too, am saving to send my two boys to college (ages 6 and 9). But, hey, I can't leave them everything. Some needs to go to entertain me. SO keep an eye out for that little Bronny RF645. Nice camera. Great price.

Robert

• 4 years later...