software to convert pixel count 4 times.

mars c

HI,

I've read about a software that converts a digital image into 4 or more times

the original pixel count. not just resizing it.

Does anyone here know where to get a softwre like that? or better yet, does

anyone here know where we could download one for free?

Hi Mars,

By profession, I'm a technical writer and "desktop publisher." And many of the "non-imaging" programs that I use will gladly do this, including Word and FrameMaker. You just tell them to make the image four times bigger on the page...and they'll simply add more white space between existing pixels. But without true Photoshop resampling, you might not like the result!

I say "might" because I once used this exact technique in Word to make a nice image look and print like something in an 1890's newspaper. But again, I was trying for that look at the time, and you...well... might not be.

By the way, if you try to do this in Photoshop (by entering new 4x dimensions and deselecting "Resample image"), the on-screen image won't change... only its effective "resolution" changes. It's a subtle reminder that a digital file itself has no size or resolution. These are only fixed when you tell software or hardware to display or print the file at a selected size and/or resolution setting. And if you bump the size by 4x (without resampling), the resolution will go down!

Sincerely,

Dave

You do not need to go to the expense of PS CS2 because Paint Shop Pro will do the job for you so long as you first set the dpi to a setting suitable, 300dpi or 360 dpi depending on the inkjet printer you are using. You will find the free www.irfanview.com programme will do the job for you too.

What is it you're trying to do?

Digital images aren't like negatives or slides. They don't have a physical size. Basically you'll need about 300 dots per inch of final output. If you wanted to print a 8x10 photo, for example, you'd need 2400 x 3000 pixels. If you've got an image already that large, you don't need any special software.

If you need to bridge the difference between what you have and what you need, interpolation software can *sort of* make up the difference. Probably the best of the breed is Qimage.

But 4x? Not a chance. Interpolation can software can give you a multiple of maybe 1.25, or 1.5, which is often enough to bridge the gap needed. A 4x interpolation means that for every dot in the image file, the software needs to create three out of thin air. Not possible.

3MP is 1500x2000 pixels. When you print the image at 5" x 7" (13cm x 18cm), you have about 300 pixels/inch, which is wonderful. When you print the image at about 8" x 10" (20cm x 27cm; about A4/letter format), you are at 200ppi, still very much OK, especially so because people won't look at it with their noses on the paper (pixel peepers excepted). Bigger prints will most likely be viewed from even bigger distances, so you need less pixels/inch.

Just print it, without resampling; you might be surprised. If you still want to try resampling: Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) is free and gives you a choice of algorithms.