Bristlecone Pine Tree shoot over Labor Day weekend.

john_arnsdorf

I am planning a trip to the Eastern Sierras to shoot the Bristlecone Pine trees in Patriarch Grove and

Shulmann Grove over the Labor Day weekend. I have never been up to this specific area but have been

doing as much research as I have time for before the trip. One thread I read on this site commented that

the road to Patriarch Grove is unsuitable for your average vehicle (in my case a Honda Accord). However,

that thread was from 3 years ago and I don't know if the road conditions have changed. I recently called

the Ranger's Station and she informed me that the dirt road is well maintained. Does anybody here have

any recent experience driving that section of road? I am debating on whether or not to take the gas

guzzling SUV or to stick with the efficient car. Any thoughts?

If anyone has any other advice or recommendations for me as well I appreciate the input. I know this is a

popular spot to photograph and many members here have shot there before so any pointers will help.

Thanks in advance,

John

I've always been able to take a passenger car to Patrarch Grove without incident. Just be sure to drive slowly over the rockier parts. In view of the difficulties encountered by other folks during this drive, I think it is prudent to take a vehicle with a full service spare tire, and to take extra food and water in case of a vehicle breakdown.

And be sure to take a broad-rimmed hat, strong sunglasses and a strong sunscreen! Patriarch is at around 11,000 feet elevation, so there is a lot of UV light and strong glare. The photography there is outstanding, particularly if you are lucky enough to get clouds in the sky. Early morning or late afternoon are especially good.

I'll second everything Eric said. I haven't been up there since August of 2000, but at that time the road was very much drivable by a typical sedan.

<p>

The road is paved for a good distance, and excellent up to the visitor's center at Schulmann Grove. You should stop at the visitor's center anyway, so you might as well ask them about the road up to Patriarch while you're there.

<p>

Grandview campground is an excellent place to stay, very close and right on your way to the Bristlecones. It's very primitive, and has no water, so bring your water and be self-sufficient. Expect some wonderful stargazing from there, and there are opportunities for nice star trails photos. There are no Bristlecones in the immediate area of Grandview, but there are some nicely gnarled junipers and piñons.

I am terribly excited for this trip. I have seen many beautiful images of the area and can't

wait to capture a few for myself. I will check to see if my Honda has a full size spare.

Otherwise, I may just load up the SUV. I suppose it is worth having the extra space anyway

to

pack more water and other necessary items. The only downside that I see at the moment

is

that it will be Labor Day weekend. I am debating whether or not to reserve a hotel in Big

Pine

and stay there. The Ranger warned me that the campground will more than likely be filled

up. The last thing I want to happen is count on getting a camp site and not reserve a hotel

and then get there and be out of luck. I don't want to spend the weekend in the back of

my car on

the side of the road.

I haven't been there in a few years, but I drove a Buick in there a couple of times in the past. I don't remember the road being particularily bad, just washboard. I remember that a lot of people were camped at pull-outs along the road going in. These could be crowded on Labor Day as well, however. It's a great place. Enjoy the time there.

John,

I was at the Schulman Grove last weekend. The road to the Schulman Grove is paved and in very good condition. The road to the Patriarch grove is, as someone else pointed out, washboard with lots of sharp stones make sure you carry a full size spare just in case... A vehicle with off-road tires would be a better choice though. If you go to the Schulman Grove, hike the Methuselah trail in the "opposite" direction (it's a loop so start at the end of the loop) especially if you go early in the morning before sunrise because you'll have a beautiful view as the sun comes up.

<p>

Thereメs a plague warning (interesting isnメt?) posted at the Grandview campground, so bring bug spray and donメt plan on bringing a dog with you as you donメt want him to pick up fleas.

<p>

At about a half a mile before reaching the entrance to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, youメll see signs telling you that at that spot thereメs cell phone reception. It sounds like a joke but is true. Anywhere else off hw 395 thereメs no cell phone reception at least for T-mobile and Cingular.

<p>

If you drive through Bishop, stop at Erick Schatメs bakkery their bread is tasty (they milled their own flour) and their sandwiches are pretty good too. If you stop by after 11am, it will be crowded, but worth the wait, so get there early. Thereメs a Pizza Factory a couple blocks north of the bakery just past Taco Bell. Their pizzas are good too but I would pass on the salad bar.

<p>

I documented my trip and posted several snapshots on Flickr. Feel free to check it out:

<p>

<a src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/guissimo/sets/72157594247172481/"> Bristlecone pine forest trip</a>

<p><p>

Have a great trip!

-guissimo

A little health note/warnng. Be aware that at 11,000 feet you may be subject to altitude

sickness especially if you have not spent some time at altitude beforehand and have driven

quickly to that height. Do a little research on the signs and symptoms (for example headache

and/loss of appetite or nausea) and be prepared to go back down the hill if you experience

them. For your first day there plan on taking it easy and don't plan extensive hikes or hill

climbs. Drink lots: it's very dry up there. Be a little careful and you'll have a great time.

Unless you are just planning on being there one day, I'd recommend staying up there overnight whether in the Grandview campground or dispersed camping along any of the several dirt roads before the reserve entrance off the main paved road. There is no legal overnighting in the reserve. The time to be at Patriarch is realy early in the morning. Bishop is so far away that if you get up at sunrise, by time you drive to reach that area it will be too bright. That is because the landscape geology is bright white dolomite. So toss in a sleeping bag and whatever else you need to be comfortable. Also expect to walk around quite a bit if you want good images. Few of the best trees are right next to the road though there are some. ...David

David, I want to stay at Grandview but I don't know if I will be able to get a spot there over

Labor Day weekend. I can imagine it is a busy weekend and I don't know if I will get there

early enough to get a spot. You mention camping off any number of roads. Is that

possible? Are there other places to stay besides the Grandview campground? I looked

into other campgrounds that make reservations and they are all booked up. I was thinking

about renting a hotel in Big Pine but I would prefer to camp. Are there sufficient places to

just pull up and camp if I don't get a spot at Grandview?

Thanks,

John

John, you're entirely right to be excited, Bristlecones is a gorgeous place. <a href="http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/AncientBristlecone.html">Here's</a> a page of some stuff shot in '03. I make it usually a couple of times every year and in fact may well be there the same time as you next weekend. If you are shooting color you will need an 81C filter just to get you back to sea level, it's that blue up there. Other challenges to consider is that in 8% humidity at 10,000 feet on a bright sunny day your film will see the most extreme difference on earth between shadow and sunlit areas. Like about 5 stops. Don't know what to tell you about the camping situation.

Thanks for all the great input everyone. I just got my filters via UPS (at Red #25 and Yello #8)

and am getting my bag together tomorrow and can't wait. I'll post my experience when I

return to round out this thread.

If anyone is up there over the weekend and wants to say "Hi" just look for the 6'4" guy with

an Arca-Swiss. There can't be too many of us up there.

:-)

John in any of our national forests, you are allowed to camp anywhere such is not specifically prohibited. That is referred to as "dispersed camping" though is rarely promoted though is well used by many experienced outdoor enthusiasts. Areas that are prohibited tend to be in areas where there are public campgrounds, towns, motels, and heavy use. Vast areas of national forest land beyond such is free for such camping. One will need to stop by a ranger station and obtain a California campfire permit. At that time ask for a handout explaining the limitations and expectations of those who do so. Areas where dispersed camping is prohibited is shown on the Inyo National Forest Map so buy one of those. Any dirt spur roads along the White Mountains paved road are fair game. This map shows the Grandview Campground:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=37.33408&lon=-118.18636&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Notice the dashed line dirt road about a half mile north of the campground entrance loop beyond the bend east in the paved road. That leads to what on the map is shown as "borrow pit". Actually there are several more branches on that dirt road which are not shown on map. You will see signs of places others have camped in a number of places. ...David