Domke padded inserts - how good or bad are they

simonpg

I'm thinking of ordering some Domke compartment padded inserts for various bits

and pieces in various bags.

So, I am wondering how good they are - what thickness and quality of foam etc is

used by them? There is no dealer where I live so I must buy blind.

Are they simply a bit cheap and nasty, or much better. I have always felt that

LowePro's compartment inserts take some beating - nice materials, thick padding

etc.. But, there are not in the optimal sizes I need; the Domke ones are.

Thanks for your comments.

I can't say I've worried unduly about the inserts in my camera bags. My only points of

reference are Billingham and Domke - I've never used a Lowepro bag. However, for what it's

worth I've never felt that there is any noticeable difference between the quality of the inserts

in my Billingham and Domke bags. My most used bag has been a Domke F2. The bag looks

like it's been dragged behind a car for a couple of hundred miles. However, the inserts look

pretty much like they did when I first bought it. Unless things have changed in a big way

recently, your Domke inserts will be fine.

I have recently made bags from both Domke and Lowepro and the Domke dividers are noticeably thinner. But then Lowepro tends to overbuild their bags anyway ...

<p>As a result of this I use the Lowepros to transport equipment from place to place, so the equipment is well protected against speed bumps, luggage gorillas and the like. When I get to where I'm going I load what I need into Domkes, *if* I have to carry more than one body, one lens and a flash. I find the Domke inserts more than adequate for separating equipment that's being carried, but wouldn't trust them for much more than that.

I have a 3 compartment Domke insert in my small Billingham bag, which didn't have an insert

when I bought it.

The Domke fits perfectly and works great. It doesn't have padding on the bottom, which is

odd because I'm more concerned about setting my bag down on hard surfaces than bumping

into something. I ended up inserting pieces of a foam mat into each compartment to solve

the problem. They are well made and do the job, however.

My old purchased used Billingham has a very soft quilted insert which is much easier on camera finishes as you slide them in and out compared to the Domke which is hard and durable at the expense of being hard on the equipment. Think about how corners of camera bodies and edges of rings on lenses seem to be worn. This is not from use.

The partitions are not sewn to the bottom so small items like lens caps slide underneath.

I own Domke bags and assorted inserts. While it is true that Domke's inserts don't have padded bottoms, they do make <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=4382"><u>Bottom Boards</u></a> tailored for the size of their bags.....albiet, they might not be the size you want....but, their inserts are also tailored to the size of their bags (for instance.....there are two different heights, in case you didn't notice that).

I've used Domke bags for years and I believe the inserts work very well. Not too bulky and yet flexible enough to protect your camera as the bag conforms to one's body.

I recommend buying the bag which contains the inserts you desire as the inserts alone are overpriced I feel. By purchasing the bag, you get the insert included. Most inserts can be had with a bag except for the three compartment insert that fits in to the F/J 803 series which is sold alone.

A bit cheap and cheesy I think. I bought the 3 compartment set to use in my 802 satchel.

It is unflexible: i.e. permanently sewn together so you can't adjust the compartments, the

bottom is not sewn, so the foam dividers fall out easily, and the bottom is unpadded. I

find it useful only when using small bodies/lenses in the bag.

I bought a Safrotto bag, which is a chinese copy, a larger version for holding gear and a

laptop, and the dividers were actually much better quality than the domke original.

I have 6 or 8 Domke bags of various vintages and sizes. I wouldn't recommend using the Domke inserts in anything but their bags. Why? Primarily because their inserts work pretty well when the bag has the sewn-in velcro stips to afix the inserts. Otherwise they tend to slide around in the bag as the nylon? material is slippery. I tried to use a set of inserts in a non-Domke bag once and it was a mess.

I also disdain the lack of padded bottoms on the inserts, but most Domke bags have the option or feature of a hard bottom to overcome this issue.

The inserts are, IMO, pretty minimal on protection; the foam padding is OK, but not bulletproof. But my philosophy is not to create a padded vault for my gear, but to have a lightweight bag to work out of, photo-journalist style, that offers organization and reasonable protection for gear. I think that the moldable Domke bags are a very good product for this use. If you're looking for an ultrapadded cocoon, then something like Lowe or Tamrac is a better choice.

Skip

The Domke padding is perhaps 3-4mm thick and closed-cell so rather stiff, and only padded on the side walls not the bottom, and the inserts are smooth nylon. Billingham by comparison are (I believe, due to the compressability)open cell, at least twice as thick if not more, and the inserts are a soft knitted material. IIRC the Domke bags were designed by a photojournalist and advertized for fast-action with minimal bulk and only essential padding, while other manufacturers like Billingham and Lowepro stress maximum protection for equipment under adverse conditions. So it might be best to buy based on your needs w. respect to that. I've never found "the perfect bag" but I've got a Tamrac that's ok for my limited needs.

Like Neil, I find the Safrotto inserts thicker and better made than the Domke inserts. In the case of the F-803, the Safrotto insert fits in the Domke bag and it is configurable (unlike Domke inserts). Not quite sure which Domke bag(s) you have Simon but I would describe the Domke inserts as adequate (thin and no protection on base) and the Safrotto inserts as very good.

I had a falling accident last winter when my camera bag hit concrete very hard. I think with Domke inserts my M7/35 would have been damaged; thankfully it was a Safrotto bag. :-)

<i>Billingham by comparison are (I believe, due to the compressability)open cell, at least

twice as thick if not more, and the inserts are a soft knitted material.</i><p>It depends

upon the Billingham bag. The little fart-arse bags like the Hadley or Alice have inserts

covered with a kind of soft felt material. The larger, traditional, pro bags have inserts using a

smoother (probably more hard wearing) nylon material (similar to the Domke insert material).

Personally, I prefer the latter.

I've had a lot of bags, including Domkes, and they all take a litttle customization, which

isn't too hard. The biggest problems are the bags with too much padding -- they're heavy,

and often the padding is in places where you don't need it, and you can't get rid of it

without damaging the bags. With a Domke or similar thinly padded bag, you can buy a

piece of closed-foam padding like the kind used by campers, and custom-cut your own

bottom pad in about fifteen seconds. My bag has cloth partitions that provide little

padding, but I keep each individual lens in small neopene bags that I found at Target, in

the auto section -- they fit perfectly and snugly, allow me to set lenses on hard surfaces

without hurting them, weigh nothing and cost little. There isn't a universal good bag for

everybody. You just have to look until you find the closest thing for your needs, and then

customize.

JC

Many thanks to you all for your great help. From the excellent details you have all provided - these are not for me. My purpose is this:

I have a large and medium roller style StormCase - IMHO the best hard shell with the nicest features and ergonomics.

BUT, the adjustable inserts are AWFUL - the very worst in the game. Foorly fitted, poorly stitched; thin dividers; few dividers supplied for the interior size........ blah blah.

So I figure my best option (was actually to get a similar size Pelican insert system - very nice and just like the Lowepro inserts; but , alas NOT the right fit!) is to find other insert systems to put in the main interior soft shell.

For airline use and abuse the soft adjustable system must be very snug for obvious reasons and the standard StormCase stuff is NOT!

So, if you buy a StormCase (and I am very happy with the hard cases) just keep in mind that the interior adjustable system is AWFUL!.

Your original posts mentions using the Domke inserts "for various bits and pieces in

various bags." It would have been useful if you'd made clear from the start that you

wanted the inserts for a hard case suitable for airline usage. Clearly, the sort of inserts

used in soft camera bags like Domke and Billingham, etc. are not going to be right for this

application.

Rather than fanny around trying to retro-fit dividers designed for other bags I would

advise getting your case(s) custom fitted with foam designed for the job. If you were in the

UK I would let you know of a couple of companies that I know which do this kind of thing.

If you ask around (foam suppliers, etc.) I'm sure you'll be able to find a suitable company

in Australia. Alternatively, you might consider buying the foam yourself and cutting it to

fit. it's not a difficult job.

Thanks Ian.

My original post was accurate - they would serve that purpose. But I've also got this issue with my Storm Cases. When I just use the large case to take by 6x6 system I use the "pluck and pick" foam which I have carved out for that system.

However, now I need to deal with a second issue - fully flexible interior to take a mix of systems especially given the growing aircraft boarding limitations. That's why my mind has also turned in that direction.

Yes I'm aware there are foam / rubber suppliers that provide precision cutting services and probably vastly better foam too. But I need a fully flexible interior.