I am new at photography and am taking newborn pics in my home. On

well lit days, I have no problem with lighting, however, on super

cloudy days I need some lighting back up. I was looking for a

suggestion on a simple/inexpensive piece of lighting equiptment that

would create natural- window type lighting in my home for these

newborn baby pics. I am a beginner- so as much info as possible would

be appreciated!!

THANKS!

Here's what I do - it's just one of a thousand ways. I've got a video lamp with a daylight

(dichroic) filter to match daylight. I'm indoors so I've got a wall plug. I put it on a tripod and

bounce it off the wall just off my left shoulder. The result is just like a window. How close to

the wall depends on how contrasty you want the picture. This is so much easier than using

flash. Cheers.

ISO, you have a low ISO camera. The cheaper cameras have low ISO, but still many Mega-Pixels. My first caemra had an ISO of 80, my current is 200-1600.

I am not sure what you have, so suggestions are hard to come by. I went through 3 cheap cameras for my daugher. I finaly have a good camera, but no extra features.

it sounds simple but white blankets reflect a lot of light. a bit of light from a house light (take the shade off it) to compliment the good suggestion of using daylight balanced film or digital light reading. increasing the exposure value (EV) setting on your digital camera and use a tripod to take longer time exposures. if asleep (which is a lot of the time :) they won't move and blur the photo much. for a simple flash diffusor, scotch tape up a few layers across the front of the flash

besides focusing and composing really quick if they are actually awake and cheerful, a tip for wee ones' portraits, tickle their cheek with something really soft just before you take the photo and you might actually get a half-grin of a good dreamy look on the face. have fun and congrads.