Nikon Coolscan 9000 - Glass Holder for MF?

Since the "search Photo.Net" function seems to be missing from your computer, I will offer the following (I have and LS-8000, which uses the same holders).

Glass holders are necessary for medium format film in order to hold the negatives flat for corner-to-corner sharpness. Medium format film is thin and tends to curve over the span of the image.

The standard holder clamps the edges of the film. One edge is moveable which allows you to put tension across the film to help flatten it. This tension is not completely effective, and does little to counteract the curl at the cut ends of the strip.

I was a bit abrupt, and I apologize. The glass holder is worth every nickel, at least in terms of results. There are many other issues that have been discussed at length in Photo.Net, including Newton's Rings and wet mounting. Some have even made their own holders. I don't recommend that - the Nikon holder is a lot more sophisticated than it looks.

We all have our moments, and you were correct, I should have searched. I usually do, but I sent that from an Amtrak train.

Does the glass reduce scan quality, as in the more glass the light has to travel through... or is there no other way to hold the film down?

dG

Edward,

With the Nikon Coolscan 9000 glass holders, I understand there is glass on both sides of the film, and both pieces of glass have anti-Newton ring etching, on the face that contacts the film. Is this correct? Have you been able to detect this etching in your scans? How significant is the impact: does it add a discernable pattern, or is it next to invisible?

I have the Nikon FH-869G glass strip film holder. This film holder has Anti-Newton glass for the top glass and clear glass for the bottom glass. Nikon supplies mask for the various film formats (645, 6x6, 6x7, etc) that you can put under the film to raise the film off the glass to reduce newton ring problems. I still have some problems with newton rings using this holder.

Nikon also makes the FH 869GR rotating glass film holder. I don't have one of these, so I can't comment on how it is constructed or if newton rings are better.

I am one of the ones that modified the FH-869S film holder that comes with the scanner and made it a glass holder with anti-newton ring glass (1mm thick) for both the top and bottom glass. I never have newton rings with this holder and images are sharp edge to edge. I was concerned that the anti-newton ring glass would affect the image, but I can't tell any difference between images scanned using the Nikon glass holder and the one I constructed other than I never get newton rings. I have the anti-newton surface in contact with the film on both the emulsion and back sides. Glass is only etched on one side to make it anti-newton glass.

Hi Robert,

I've read through your contributions regarding the 9000 and glass holders, with great interest.

Just to clarify, is the scanner's lens below the film, on the 9000. Having an glass above and below, in your custom holder, makes this a moot point, I suppose.

Speculating, regarding use of Nikon's FH-869G holder in the Coolscan 9000, the components are as follows, starting at the bottom and working up: scanner's lens, clear glass, mask, film (emulsion down), antinewton glass, and light source.

I posed this question in another thread in which you contributed. I posted "late in the day", I don't think anyone was following the thread anymore. This is the thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DBmS

If you are able to use an glass above and below the film _and_ see no evidence of it in the scan, you have the perfect solution for any focus issues. In my case, using gepe AN glass slide mounts with Elite 5400, there was a dappled pattern evident, particularly in smooth highlights. _Especially_ when viewing my gamma 1.0 raw files. Now, perhaps this last point is part of my problem. Once I see the effect, it bothers me, even when I raise the gamma to normal viewing level (much brighter).

You are correct, the lens is below the film holder and the light source is above. Film emulsion is down and is facing clear glass in the Nikon FH-869G film holder. I believe the emulsion is smooth enough in some cases that you get newton rings.

I do not see the anti-newton glass pattern in the scans, but maybe I have not made the type of adjustments you are talking about. I also constructed a glassless film carriers (645 & 6x6) that supports each frame on all sides like the 35mm holder. I get sharper scans than with the Nikon FH-869S glassless carrier, but not as sharp as with the glass carrier. I use the glass carrier I constructed for all medium format scans now.

I had a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi II scanner that had anti-newton glass and scans using this carrier did show the pattern in the top glass. If I remember correctly the anti-newton glass in the Minolta scanner did have a dimple pattern. The glass I am using is etched on one side and looks more like ground glass. The depth of field of the lens in the Nikon 9000 is very short and this may have some effect on not showing the pattern.

You can purchase a wet mount carrier for the 8000/9000 and it is reported to give you excellent results. I consider using a wet mount carrier will be a lot more trouble than the glass carrier I am using and what I am getting is acceptable.