Stiff focus with new Asp Lux 50 and 75 Cron

They are Leica's first two floating element designs for the M mount. So there's a focusing helical for the bulk of the lens, and either a helical or cam focusing system for the floating element. So you're doing more work when you focus these lenses. Cam focusing, in particular, is hard to make smooth, it's a tradeoff between slop and friction.

The 75 cron focusing is still a bit stiff for me after about 40 rolls; I think it might loosen up a bit but really I don't mind - I have some older lenses whose focusing action I consider too "loose", and on balance I'd prefer slightly too stiff to slightly too loose.

All lenses should have smooth focusing, Leica or not, Asph or not, new or almost new. If you

feel it stiff it IS stiff. If it was mine I would ask for a replacement, they cost too much money

to be less than perfect. And Leica has to improve their quality control. Just my opinion of

course, others may be quite happy with this.

What Bob said !

The new LEICA 50 mm and 75 mm Asph. lenses have >floating

lenselements< to allow for better quality at the nearer

focusing range. This leads to much more complicated mechanics,

compared to the traditional M-lenses.

For me I also prefer a stiffer lens, doesn?t change focus so easily

Best regards

• 1 month later...

Richard,

I also use the 50 1.4 ASPH and the 75 2.0 APO ASPH Summicron lenses. The 50 1.4 ASPH out of the box was rather tight when turning the focus dial. After a few months of use, it did loosen up just a tad bit but not much. These two new M lenses use a different helical brass coil mount that provides for even closer tolerances than previous M lenses had. As a result, you get even more optical performance due to the more durable and exacting lens element mounts. The 50 1.4 ASPH and the 75 2.0 APO ASPH M lenses represent a very high optical performance that is currently unmatched. Use these lenses with confidence and enjoy the superlative images they will produce.

Regards,

Dale