Hasselblad: Great Camera - Excellent Service

peter walker

This is not a question but I do invite comments.

Nine months ago, I bought a brand new Hasselblad 205FCC with a couple

of lenses. I have been into photography for over 20 years and have

used many cameras including 35mm, Underwater and Medium Format

cameras, some of which have been good and some not-so-good.

When I bought the Hasselblad a number of people, including a couple on

this forum, said that I was crazy for spending so much on a camera.

At the time I did not react to the nayasayers, on the basis that the

camera was still new and I was not 100% sure that my money had been

well spent.

Well, after nine months, I just have to say this, "the camera is worth

every cent that I spent on it". It has worked perfectly, is very

logical in its operation, and is a joy to handle. Although the

camera is only the tool with which we take photographs ( you can see

some of mine at http://www.peterwalker.com ), having a good piece of

equipment can so enhance the photographic experience that the user is

free to focus their attention on the photograph not the camera. I

particulary find the built-in "zone system" spot metering very

intuitive, removing doubts about exposure, especially when using color

transparency film.

But the clincher for me has been Hasselblad's after-sales service.

Early on I had a problem with one component - probably due to me

mishandling it rather than a manufacturing fault. Without hesitation,

Hasselblad quickly replaced the component. Also, being a novice to

this camera, I have had questions about certain features. I been able

to communicate via email directly with the engineering department who

immediately came up with a solution for what I was trying to do.

In summary, the 205FCC is an excellent camera backed up by excellent

service. It is without doubt the best camera that I have ever used.

When it comes to fulfilling my goals as a photographer, the price of

the camera does not even come into consideration.

NB. This viewpoint is totally unsolicitated - I just wanted to share

it.

Regards

Peter

For that you must thank Shriro Marketing as well as Hasselblad Sweden for having picked Shriro as their agent. (Shriro also markets and services Nikon in Singapore). But as the poster above noted, if you are willing to pay the bucks you can buy superlative service.

I too, have switched to Hasselblad because of the service.

They recognize that we earn our livings in a very competitive business and need that service. Equipment that performs well and is well supported will help us generate enough income to pay Hasselblad's prices.

Let me offer another positive about Hasselblad. I own the 503cx, and it is a joy to own and work with. Critical clients are dazzled at the quality and clarity of the images. The money shock is starting to wear off me now. I buy what I can when I can. Thats another thing, the mint used market is fairly plentiful; just don't expect too much of a bargain though. What is it they say, "youget what you pay for" and

"buy the best, and cry only once!"

Peter, after 12 years as an avid Bronica SQ user, I sold my gear and took the plunge. Those Bronicas sure took a beating! My new Blads are just wonderful. They are VERY expensive but worth it if you're looking for the best. I only bought bodies, backs and a few lenses, NO extras because they're way too expensive and I hate gadgets anyway and the $100 shade I'll just loose or leave on a job. I must comment on the 180mm CF, I've never used anything that fine. I did have a new back jam on me, I took it to Blad ,as I live in New Jersey and they're a half hour from me and they couldn't have been nicer. I must say that Bronica service was also very good and they were good cameras but these are a few steps better.

It's true, a Hasselblad is indeed the finest camera ever made. From the beginning a well-thought off concept, not many like that...

As a fanatic amateur/freelance photographer I too took the plunge after working with 35mm (canon) and mamiya 645 for more than 10 years...I bought myself two 500c/m's + 80 & 150 mm C t* lenses. Professionals say CF is the best/sharpest etc....surely, but C is still affordable and good enough for me purposes. Anyway, h'blad is recommended by the pro's and backed up with one of the best services available. If you need a replacement body this instant...you can loan it or rent it or whatever from a collegue, store...it's available....you got lenses from a different type? Almost everything is interchangable, try that with bronica, mamiya, rollei....these things can cost you an assignment or not, for amateurs, like me, it's not that big a deal, but using the best is good!

Several years ago I had the unfortunate experience of finding out that Hasselblads don't float! Flooded basement, Hassys underwater; not the underwater Hassy!

Hasselblad cleaned/rebuilt a body, backs, three lenses, prism, etc. from the ground up. When they came back from Hassleblad I think they were better than the day they came off the assembly line new!

Nothing but good things to say about Hasselblad service and repair.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, great to read that others have had the similar experiences to mine. After 29 years of using Nikons I too bit the proverbial bullet and bought a new Hassey System. I purchased mine this past January. I bought a 203FE, 50/2.8 FE, 110/2.0 FE, PM5, extension tubes and various filters. There was a problem with the PM5 mating to the body. The connection would be intermittant and the display would invert. As I was leaving on vacation within days, the dealer called Hasselblad and asked what to do. They had the dealer FEDEX the camera up north, Hassey replaced the contacts, cleaned and throughly tested all components and FEDEX'D the camera back to me all at their expense.

The local Hasselblad rep stated that Hasselblad wants their owners to understand that service is paramount. Well, I am convinced. Hopefully soon I can add a 250mmFE and a second body. Perhaps the 205FCC. Hasselblad is certainly the finest camera I have ever owned. An those optics....what can I say except they are sharp, sharp, sharp!

I do not work of Hasselblad or any other camera dealer. I am a design professional (architect) who understands what the words responsiveness and service mean.