70-200 F4 L for Canon 350D(D Rebel XT)

andrei moldovan

Andrei, it's a great combination.

Photographers who use lenses that are large relative to the camera body know that the left

hand (or a tripod) should always support the weight of the lens, whether it's a 70-200 on a

350D or a 500IS on a 1D.

Most of these combinations involving longer lenses "look funny" to people who think the

camera and lens should be roughly the same size, but there's no reason to use a larger

camera body just because the lens is bigger.

Stange...bought mine about half a year ago without any problems.

Just called to my local dealership and they had them in stock (70-200 f4L). Use it on my 20D though so cannot comment about the combination.

But since the lens is just awesome I do not think you will regret it.

By the way the weight of this lens is not that much different then a EF75-300 IS USM (705gr verus 650gr)

Andy

Andrei,

If you're thinking about getting a 70-200 f/4 for your 350D, don't even worry about it. The f/4 version is lighter and slightly smaller than the f/2.8 version. I've even tried the f/2.8 version on the 350D with no problem as long as you support the lens with your left hand or monopod/tripod. You'll enjoy the lens.

I have the 70-200 4L with a digital rebel 300D which has a plastic body and it is no problem. The 4L is a very light lens in comparison to other 70-200 2.8s. Any camera will support its own weight. If a lens is so big that it needs a tripod collar, chances are you need to support the lens not the camera. You could use a 600mm with that camera, you would just have to support the lens just like everyone else.

Andy, where do u live and what is your local store? I guess you are Dutch by your name. I've been trying to buy a 70-200mm F4 lens in London for months and all the stores say they have no idea when stock will be ariving, very frustrating!

Thanks,

Dave

I have used my 70-200mm f2.8 USM IS on the 300D as well as my 228-300mm USM IS .... the body is too darn light, don't know there is a camera on the lens, weight is way off...I prefer the sweet balance of these lenses on the 1D and 1D MKII N....perfect balance. I shoot 99.9% by hand, just not for long exposures.

An additional question... I'm getting this lens for my Rebel XT and I wonder what

experience people have had using this combination on a tripod with and without the

tripod mount for the lens.

Is it necessary? (I suspect not, but would like to know) Is it advisable? Is it fine without it?

I understand that there are several perspectives from which this question could be

approached. I'm mainly interested in the issue of balance between the weight/size of the

lens and that of the camera. If you would additionally like to add different but related

feedback about things like ease of rotating the tripod-mounted camera, this could also be

interesting.

Thanks,

Dan

You do understand that "plastics" are used in bulletproof windows, bulletproof vests, for military and space applications, right? You'll find most cars are "plastic", and plastic car bodies perform better than their metal counterparts for bumps and grinds. Plastic absorbs shock better than metal.

Anyhow, the XT has a metal ring for the lens mount. This is the key. You won't get wear. The body is probably stronger than metal, and I wish folks would simply subject both bodies to impact studies and be done with it. Camera companies build what the consumer wants, and if you belive metal is better, they will comply.

The 70-200 f4.0 L is a perfect match for the XT. I find it a pleasure to use, and the balance is fine. The f2.8 100 Macro is a bit heavy for the XT, and I don't like its balance. Both lenses are fine on tripods, and you won't need tripod lens mounts. Mounting on the camera is fine. Of course, if you shoot handheld, you'd be holding the lens body for stabilization and zoom.

I think a 70-200 2.8L would be a bit too large for the XT, but I don't own the XT for this reason. I want it for its light weight and small package. Its a stealth camera for street photography and candids, I can backpack with it and a couple of lenses, and I can deliver professional quality photos.

When I see folks walking the street with the larger Canons, it is quite clear to me that they enjoy folks oogleing their gear, and they like the attention. Yeah, shooting pro sports on the sideline is a different story, and you'll need the big guns, simply for the AF capability.

When you drop something, what's going down to the shop? The lens or the camera? Be honest here.