Kiev 4AM / Jupiter / Jessops 100

grahams

I have been trying my luck with a Jessops 100 film and Rodinal,

without much success, despite encouragement from Paul Headland.

These are from my first attempt, shot with the Kiev 4AM and the J8.

Forgive the poor quality, but the negs are thin and contrasty and

were difficult to scan.<div>00Dygj-26221884.jpg.15a070ea03335845ee6860f022d2f22c.jpg</div>

Where is this, UK? From the half-timbered house i would have thought it's swhere northern germany or scandinavia...but the names don't fit:)

Nice results. Hows'it with the "contax grip", that is, Kiev grip in this case, does it work for you?

What's wrong with the results? They look better to me than most b&w scans published in this forum, including some of my own. From my wet darkroom experience I must say that I prefer thin contrasty negs, they are easy to print as long as there is still detail in the shadows. Your mileage may vary.

I received some advice <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CG3D" target="_blank">here</a> earlier that the published times for Rodinal are too long and results in negs that are too contrasty. Sadly, it might be a waste of time and effort to perfect your use of Rodinal given that Agfa Photo will be history in a few months.

Thank you all - I appreciate your comments and compliments. The negs just don't look to me like what I am used to in a "good" neg. No richness, no highlight density or detail - in lab-speak, I would say that the D-Max was off two points or more. Even the rebate markings look thin. I will persevere after I prove that my bottle of Rodinal is not at fault by processing some FP4.

Csab - Yes, this is in the U.K. - we have many old half-timbered houses still, most are "listed" and cannot be altered in any way. This one is about 30 kms from London, near where I live. If you live in one, it is said that the furniture will never go in another house, because the legs have to be cut to match the un-even floors which are not level. If you go to sleep in one corner of the room, you wake up in the other.

I've been using my Kiev almost exclusively (except for business photos where I use a digital) for the past year or so and I just can't seem to adapt to the bifurcated grip necessary if the wheel focus is in use. Neither have I adapted well to the infinity lock, but maybe time will help. Anyhow, I am quite satisfied withe the Jupiter 53mm f2. Nevertheless, having used Leicas for nearly sixty years perhaps it is an isue of time over matter -- and matter it is, it seems to weigh a ton!