Canon Compact Battery Pack CP-E3

danzel_c

Does anyone use the Canon Compact Battery Pack CP-E3 with their

Canon flash such as the 580 EX at weddings?

I usually rent a Quantum Battery pack to use with my 580EX from

Helix Camera, but I am thinking about purchasing one and the Canon

one cost less than the Quantum. Thanks.

I do and it works great. Actually have two of them, one for the on-camera flash, and one on a 550ex remotely fired using radio slave and hotshoe sync. I usually don't need to change the batteries at all but if you do you can always get a spare battery magazine that easily slips in when needed.

I use 2500mAH PowerEx batteries in my 550 EXs, and they tend to last about 4 hours before I

need to swap them out. Carrying a few extra sets of batteries in my bag is much more

convenient than lugging around CP-E3s.

Sounds like the CP-E3 is the way to go. It's smaller, and less expensive than the Quantum I rent. I have 5 weddings booked so far for this year and four rentals of the Quantum can pay for one CP-E3. it makes sense to buy one instead of keep renting.

Recycle time was my main concern. I never missed a beat with the Quantum. The recyle time is almost unnoticeable. Appears the the CP-E3 is too except when used at full power. I suspect that the quantum would have some noticeable recycle time if used at full power too.

Thanks everyone!

The several test I've read of the Turbo indicate just under 1.5 seconds to do a full power recycle on a 550EX or 580EX. My experience is the same. The CP-E3 takes nearly 2 seconds to do the same. The CP-E3 is less weight and 1/3 the cost. I think it's a good trade for that half second.

• 4 weeks later...