D70s Sigma 10-20mmEX or Nikkor 24mm AF2.8

syed_suhaib

Hi, I'm looking to purchase D70s with kit lens. I want to add some

wide angle lens, mainly for landscape, mountain, architecture &

street photograpy. Can you help me choose the best between Sigma 10-

20mmEX & Nikkor 24mm AF2.8 lenses for these purposes. Or any other

you think would be best...

Thanks.

If you scroll down a bit on the Nikon Forum home page you'll find one or two recent discussions about ultrawide zooms. There are fans of the various Sigma ultrawides as well as the Tokina 12-24/4 and Nikon 12-24/4DX.

You can also find reviews of these lenses along with graphic illustrations on the photozone website (www.photozone.de). While photozone is Canon-centric they do offer reviews of many popular third party lenses from Tamron, Tokina and Sigma. Their tests are objective, with informative data but written for the layperson and easy to follow.

Hi Syed,

I'm evaluating my Sigma 10-20 right now. The pics I have so far are not artistically interesting :-) but they could give you some idea of the quality. If you wish, I can email you the full jpegs and you can see for yourself. (So far, I am pleased with this lens, by the way).

But, please give me a couple of days. I am off on Wednesday and can do it then, if you wish.

Best regards,

John

FWIW I grappled with the same question a couple of months back. I was all set to get the Tokina but when I looked at the prices and reviews I felt the Sigma actually worked out at better value. I don't tend to use it a lot, but when I do I'm pleased with it. The extra space at the short end really opens all sorts of possibilities - the attached was taken at 10mm and distortion corrected in PP.<div>00F4Zv-27869884.jpg.f6075ac41ad0472a23a56a40c826463c.jpg</div>

A little more info on my Sigma 10-20: the lower left corner (but no other corner) is quite messy (blurry) wide open between 10-14mm (15-21 equivalent). It looks much better at f/8, however. This is the weakest part of this lens' performance (I mean my sample, of course). If I were a professional whose bread-and-butter depended on this lens, I *might* try to swapped it out for one closer to perfect. For me, however, it is a non-issue. I can stop down or compose around it. Besides, the next lens might have a weak point in a different area. :-)

I'm not seeing much CA anywhere, though it is occasionally present under the usual circumstances (backlighting, contrast) to a mild degree.

If that corner were sharper, this would be...really, really great. As it is, it is really, really good. It is a joy to have access to these focal lengths.

But, if you are super-picky: check the corners. :-)

John