Mamiya MF RF for travel/outdoors?

dane_sherstad1

Howdy folks -

I've been looking into purchasing a 2nd hand (limited funds) MF

RF. The goal is large (6x6 or more), high quality negs (primarily

B&W) from a setup light and durable enough to take on extended

travels, multi-day/week hikes, rockclimbs, mountaineering?. I've

been using a well worn Rollieflex TLR which I love but would like

interchangeable lenses and maybe something a bit quicker to use.

From what I've been reading, Mamiya 6 (or MF6) or 7 (7II) sound like

ideal candidates. For these setups I think 50mm and 150mm lenses

would cover my style quite well. I'd greatly appreciate it if those

of you experienced with these setups (or similar, Fuji?) would share

some thoughts and recommendations.

More specific questions:

Does the M6 work with 220 film?

I've read comments about the inaccuracy of the hyperfocal marks on

M7 (II) lenses, is it so? And is it the case with M6 lenses as well?

Has the minimal focus distance been an issue for you in street

scenes and non-studio portraits?

Does anyone have experience making long night exposures with these

cameras? Possibly locking the shutter open on B, removing the

batteries, then composing and removing the lens cap and returning

hours later, replacing the lens cap and batteries??

Thank you for any and all input you can provide. Due to the

cost of these options I'll be hunting for quite some time for a

cosmetically beaten but optically good option (and likely get ripped

off on ebay).

Peace - Dane

I've owned two M6 and now own an M7II. They have been my favorite cameras and are well travelled. The M6 a little more compact with the collapsing lens mount. I just preferred the 6x7 format ultimately. I've never liked the 150mm lens for these cameras, while great performers I could never focus accurately and didn't like the small spot in the viewfinder. RF are by nature wide angle cameras, as that is where the Mamiya RF perform best. The 50mm Mamiya lenses are superb. Many people go with the 80/50 or 65/43 combo. I am an 80/50 guy myself.

1. Both M6 and M7 use 220 film.

2. Hyperforcal marks are a bit off, but I don't use them much.

3. Minimum focal distance has never been an issue for me. YMMV. These cameras are not made for headshots in any event.

4. I've done exposures as long as 15 seconds. Works fine. Haven't done any longer.

I have a Fujica G690BL. Over the last three years I built up a kit of 50mm, 100mm and 180mm lenses and I'm very satisfied with it. The lenses are a little hard to get in the used market, but you won't be disappointed. And regarding costs, it's a very interesting option when you compare it to the M7. It can accept 220 film as well; you only have to turn the film pressure plate. Besides, there are no batteries to worry about! You can find useful tips at http://www.lallement.com/pictures/

Currently, I no longer take a 35mm camera when I travel. 6x9 is great!

Good luck,

Fernando

If you like your Rollieflex why not buy a Mamiya TLR. Its 6X6, very well build, has interchangeable lenses and is a lot cheaper than any of the Mamiya RFs. Certainly the RFs are a lot easier to focus with.

Both RFs accept 220 film. The hyperfocal marks are overestimated in the Mamiya 7II. Most people I read they use two stops over the suggested aperture. The 7 is not well suited for portraits. Many people claim that they cannot use the 150 because of focus inaccuracy. I do use it and is a wonderful lens but is not suited for portraits. You cannot remove the batteries and expect the shutter to remain open. These are electronic cameras and can do nothing without a battery.

More information in: http://www.kenrockwell.com/mamiya/.

I think the Mamiya 7 is a great travel camera. I have used it on month long trips to India and Bolivia. I currently have 43mm and 80mm lenses.

When I bought the 43mm, the 50mm had not come out yet. Had it existed, I probably would have leaned towards the 50mm.

I had the 150mm and sold it only because I used it least and needed to sell something to help fund my R-D1 purchase. I used it without the external viewfinder, did not have trouble focusing it, and found it a pleasure to use.

I would suggest that you consider getting either an 80mm or 65mm, because you can used them without an external viewfinder, which is sometimes a pain to use. You can, as mentioned, do the same with the 150mm, but you might want something with a wider view than that which you can use without an external viewfinder.

The Mamiya 7II is great, and so would an older 7 be if you're looking at the second-hand market. As for the DOF markers, I'm not sure what kind of circle of confusion and printing size Mamiya had in mind when they put those there, but it's definitely not made for enlargements of the sizes that you would want to make to get the full potential of those big negatives, and so are best ignored or used at least one stop or - better yet - two stops off from the suggested number.

<p>

The minimum focus distance is one metre, and that is rather close as far as most subjects go. I sometimes find myself wanting to get as close as possible to a subject, focusing as close as I can and then moving closer until it's in focus. More often than not, I get closer than I thought I would.

<p>

The Mamiya 6, if you can find one second-hand, tends to be good value for money since people are more eager to get a Mamiya 7 these days, it seems, and I think I've seen some sell with three lenses for less than $1000 on eBay. It's got the same sharp lenses, and is even a bit more compact than the 7 (which is really small and compact relative to image size, and a joy to carry around).

<p>

As for leaving the shutter open without the battery in, I think someone earlier in the thread suggested this would be impossible with the leaf shutters. How much actual battery drain will come from leaving it open might be difficult to guess, though, unless someone's done a test on this to see how many shutter-open-hours you get on one. I suppose a very modest, but still noticable, electric current would be necessary to keep the leaf shutter open.

<p>

On the upside, an electronic leaf shutter tends to be more accurate than a mechanical one.<p>

When it comes to lenses, I've also heard some bad things about the 150mm, and my lens combo recommendation would be the 50 and the 80mm. You can still use the internal viewfinder for the 50mm as its angle of view is nearly identical, and - from what I've heard - only marginally wider than the viewfinder, and so it's no big problem.

I have a Mamiya 6 & really like it a lot - I also second Donald's recommendation about the 150mm lens - I had one & sold it - I also had the accessory viewfinder as well & just was not happy with it - now have a 50 & 75.

The M6 has a great bright viewfinder as well.

See:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/mamiya/index.htm

I also use Nikon & a Wisner 4x5 & this is my MF camera of choice.

Yes the M6 works fine with 220 film.

Don't know about the long exposures but I see no reason why it's a problem.

Good luck & have fun

I got the Mamiya 7II over the other 6x7 options because I wanted a camera that I could easily take backpacking with me. I've used it on several two week trips and it travels very well. I find the 80mm very useful. I'd think twice about not having it or the 65mm as part of your first kit. I have the 50mm and 80mm but have not yet shot with the 150mm. - Tad

DS: I have a Mamiya 6 and for the ease of traveling with a medium format,you can't beat it. It's built solid and can really take the wear and tear of travel. The collapsing lens mount is a real plus. I have all the 3 lens and I don't have any trouble with the 150mm as others seems to have,the 50mm is just the sharpest lens I have used. I just got into the Contax g2 system for travel and these(M6 and G2) rangefinders lens are super sharp and very compact. I have a Tiffen case that looks like a computer case and I fit the Mamiya 6 with 3 lens and 2 Contax G2 body with 4 lens all in a one case the size of a computer case. If you can find the M6 with all the lens,get it. I had a friend buy it from Japan for me(used)about 7 years ago and I really lucked out.I would do it again in a wink.My eyes are getting older and the M6 focusing is easy to use,the G2 auto-focus on a small camera for travel is the best. good luck KM

IMO, Mamiya RF cameras are excellent with wide angle lenses, not with tele lenses.<br>

The 210 is not rangefinder coupled, and the 150mm is not considered as being their best lens. Many people agree with you about hyperfocal marks.<br>

Once again, these cameras are designed most for wide angle use, because these lenses have a greater depth of field than teles. The same problem that with Leica M cameras and 135 lenses.<p>

Fuji GSW and GW 690 can be found only used. Great lenses but fixed ones, the same problem that with Rolleiflex TLRs.<br>

I have a Rollei 2,8 TLR and I bought a Rollei SLR for its interchangeable lenses.<br>

The Fuji GSW and GW 690 - or 670 - are rather difficult to find in very good condition at a reasonable price.<br>

Hi

I love my M6mf for travelling. It is more compact than my Nikon gear, and with Sunny16 in mind you dont have to use the build in light meter - My pictures are in 95% correct exposured.

Last week I went to Syria and Lebanon, where I took 14 rolls of Velvia 50.

Thomas

Thanks so much for all the input. I'll be shopping around for a M6 setup either with multiple lenses or just start with a 50 and add to that in the future. Though the 7 sounds quite interesting as well, I'll be keeping my eyes open. I'd love to figure out some non-battery burning way to shoot star trails with these setups.

Thanks again, Peace - Dane