Remotre trigger of strobes

bernard_frank

I use studio studio strobes which I trigger using a Pocket Wizard remote system. I am

interested in the new MicroSync digital system by Tamrac because the transmiter looks

tiny, the

battery seems to last for ages, etc... Anyway, while reading their advertising in a magazine

I have been taken aback by an advertised "sync speed" of up to 1/180th (focal plane

shutter.)

Why on earth would a remote radio triggering system for strobes in manual mode

photography have a maximum sync speed? Doesn't it just trigger the flash? Is there a

concept that I don't quite grasp here?

Thank you for your insight on this surprising (for me) matter.

What's even weirder to me is that their website says MicroSync can sync up to 1/350th of a second with leaf shutter cameras. I know in general leaf shutter can sync with a flash at a higher rate, but I don't see why a remote strobe trigger would care whether you've got a leaf or a focal plane shutter. Maybe I'm missing something here...

Bernard, this is due to the time delay caused by the transmission and signal processing of the remote control. If your camera has a focal plane shutter and you use a speed faster than recommended you will have uneven exposure across the image area. When using a central/leaf type shutter you will have the effect of underexposure because it's leafs are closing already before the flash discharge has ended.

Kirk, what you say is correct. A leaf type shutter can sync with a flash at a higher speed setting as compared to a focal plane shutter. But when a time delay exist due to the remote triggering device you will have to use a longer shutter speed still to prevent any negative effects as I already outlined above.